[Closed] 2nd language homepage can't be accessed : redirection loop

Home Support English Support [Closed] 2nd language homepage can't be accessed : redirection loop

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Alana 7 months, 1 week ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
August 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm #34766

Yolene

Hi,
Well it's all in the title :
I go to my-domain.com , no problem
i go to my-domain.com/fr : it can't get there
it says there is a redirection loop.
How to set a homepage for the second language ?

August 20, 2011 at 7:20 pm #34768

Amir
Forum moderator

May we have a link to your site? We can see what the redirection loop includes.
Also, what's the site's permalink structure? Are you using any other plugins that may add rewrite rules or modify the URL structure?

August 20, 2011 at 7:31 pm #34769

Yolene

http://wonderingyolene.com
is the website
I use the plugin custom permalinks , my default permalink structure is wonderingyolene.com/%postname%
The translation of links works just find for posts and pages, it's just for the homepage that it doesn't work.
Thanks

August 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm #34770

Amir
Forum moderator

Please try to use the permalink structure:
Year/Month/Name
Also, disable that custom permalinks plugin, as it most likely is related to the problem. Once we narrow this down, you can invite the author of the other plugin here and we can work on this issue together.

August 20, 2011 at 8:07 pm #34771

Yolene

well i disactivated the custom permalink but it's still not working.
As i said : it works fine everywhere EXCEPT the homepage.
The homepage doesn't have a Year/Month/Name structure no matter which default permaling structure i use anyway.
It's just the homepage problem, i guess it's because WPML doesn't have an actual 2nd page to link to.
I mean for each post for example i use wpml to link the english post to the french post. But i haven't had opportunity to make that for homepage, because there is only one homepage in the theme …
There should be an option in WPML to create a translated replicate of the original homepage , i mean how do other users do it ?!

August 21, 2011 at 4:17 am #34772

Amir
Forum moderator

The redirect loop goes between http://wonderingyolene.com/fr/ and http://wonderingyolene.com/
I suspect that the theme is auto-redirecting to http://wonderingyolene.com/.
Can you check if this also happens with the default WordPress theme? (TwentyEleven)
The permalink structure that you're using is highly problematic and will likely cause problems. Even though it doesn't affect the homepage, I would still cause problems.
After you switch the theme (for testing), I strongly suggest that you switch the permalink structure to Year/Month/Name – at least for testing.

August 21, 2011 at 4:28 am #34773

Yolene

I've set the default theme, (cleared the cache etc) and the problem is still there. Isn't it because the French homepage doesn't exist and needs to be "create" somehow and linked to the English one ?

February 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm #49372

Matt

Incidentally, I just had this same problem, and worked out that it was coming from the Redirection plugin. The Redirection plugin, by default, monitors changes in permalinks and redirects the old page/post to the new one. I changed the name of my German homepage, and Redirection saw this and set up a redirect that caused the loop.

I know this is an old thread, but it's the first Google hit for WPML redirection loop, so I figured it was worth adding my discovery, in case it's causing anyone else problems.

To solve it, I (a) went into Redirection's settings' "Groups" page and removed the duff entry under "modified posts", then (b) went to the Options page and chose "Don't Monitor" under "Post & Page URLS" to make sure it didn't inflict any more problems on me.

March 1, 2012 at 8:14 am #49488

Anonymous

Thanks Matt.

March 23, 2012 at 8:11 am #53022

Marko

Thanks! This also solved my problem! Remember: Turning URL Monitor OFF is not enough! You have to remove all entries in Groups/Modified posts like Matt already said!

January 22, 2014 at 5:07 pm #325992

Alana

Matt! that worked a treat!! thanks .. I didn't even turn off montoring.. I just removed all the entries in Groups/Modified

The topic ‘[Closed] 2nd language homepage can't be accessed : redirection loop’ is closed to new replies.