[Closed] Incompatibility issues with Genesis framework?

Home Support English Support [Closed] Incompatibility issues with Genesis framework?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ambrogio 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 13, 2012 at 11:04 am #45027

awalligator

I am running WP 3.3.1, WPML 2.4.2, on a Genesis Framework 1.7.1
And I am running a 2 language setup: English and italian.
I am getting a whole lot of problems with a couple of things:
Posts that should show up in a Genesis featured post plugin only show up in one language, the equivalent posts do not come up (nothing at all), even though categories are translated properly, and posts are categories with their respective language categories applied.
Genesis slider plugin is very flaky and needs to be saved in both language versions 2 times before working. Categories keep resetting to default as soon as I make a setting change in the other language. (I can work around that if need be)
I am using an older version of WPML on an older site and all works dead simple and without a hick. But in this current release everything I touch seems to break somehow.
There are a lot of small glitches and I seem to be overwriting settings and categories all the time. Is there an issue with the fact that I am running Italian as default language and English as admin language?
Is there a general known issue with this version WPML in general?
Thanks,
Andreas

January 13, 2012 at 11:26 am #45029

Anonymous

We would like to work with the Genesis authors on this, do you mind contacting them about it?

January 13, 2012 at 11:30 am #45030

awalligator

Yes, please go ahead. Can you get in touch with them directly? That would probably be most efficient.
Since you state on your site that it is compatible with genesis these glitches do surprise me. And I don't think it is simply a configuration issue.

January 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm #45031

awalligator

I have done some more testing and have possibly a couple of more clues about the mistery:
The Genesis Features Post plugin, and the genesis Slider plugins seem to be incompatible:
Both behave as followed:
I have an "mycategory-english" and a translation "mycategory-italian"
I setup the english widget and apply "mycategory-english"
When switching in widget admin to the italian version I see that the plugins show the default "all categories"/. I switch it to "mycategory-italian".
After that the english seems to be switching to the "all categories". I manage to solve it by several times switching and reapplying the correct category.
Even once it is set properly any change to any one language version of the widgets changes the category of the other language version back to "all categories"
I hope that sheds some light onto it.

January 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm #45032

Anonymous

Awalligator, this is something that should be taken with Genesis as most confilict is between their plugins.

January 31, 2012 at 10:27 pm #45033

Ambrogio

I can confirm the Genesis incompatibility. I also have a lot of problem configuring a 3 languages wp-site with WPML and their framework.
Widgets disappears when displaying taxonomies, menu doesn't sync properly etc.
But the worst thing is that you get this bad feeling of "instability", like a house of cards. When you build something there, somewhere else is falling down. :(
You should definitely check it with the guys of Studiopress.
@awailigator: did you found a solution or simply changed template/framework?
Regards

January 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm #45034

Ambrogio

Well, now I have changed the widgets (custom post) and it works.
I guess the problem has really something to do with incompatibility of Genesis plugins with the WPML.
Being both very popular in the WP world, this issue is really something should be solved :)
I have already posted the same suggestion in their forum.
Good Luck
Best
Regards

February 1, 2012 at 1:45 am #45035

awalligator

Hi Ambrogio, Thanks for your comments. Good to see it is not just me. I am glad if it can be resolved. I will also ping Studiopress about it since I think there could be several issues.
Regarding your last comment: What do you mean with you have changed the widgets (custom post). Are you now using something other than genesis featured posts?
Cheers,
Andreas

February 2, 2012 at 12:32 am #45036

Ambrogio

Hi Andreas
Because my customer it's not really fit with programming, I didn't wanted to give him admin access, but only editor role, so he couldn't access the widget area to make changes.
That's why I used the Studiopress Featured Page widget to insert some static images and text, like phone numbers, email, address and so on.
This way my customer would only have to edit the relative page, instead of the widget.
But because of the incompatibility, I had to use a custom post plugin.
There's a lot of them, but I used a very simple one called "Custom Post Widget", no frills, simply an extra menu "Content Blocks" and a multi-widget to select specific "blocks".
So I did a "Address" block, a "Banner" block etc.
Now the customer edit this custom posts with a normal WYSIWYG panel and the widgets are updated.
To conclude, I have simply realized that any other plugin/widget that doesn't come from Studiopress works with WPML….. sad but true.
Best

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘[Closed] Incompatibility issues with Genesis framework?’ is closed to new replies.