[Closed] @it @es etc etc in categories

Home Support English Support [Closed] @it @es etc etc in categories

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alan 2 years, 6 months ago. The support staff assigned to this topic is Harshad.

Author Posts
Author Posts
June 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm #64441

Alan

I have a number of languages on the site that often have the same name in English as they do in their translated languages i.e. Video. So, when I create a translation of a category it add @es etc to the end i.e. Video @es so that's what's used as the category name.

The problem comes when I have a breadcrumb trail on the site (currently using Breadcrumb NavXT) and then it's listed as

Home > Video @es > Name of post

Is there any way to stop that showing up in the front end? I understand why it's necessary in the backend so you can distinguish between languages.

I'm currently using 2.3.4 of WPML on the site.

June 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm #64442

Filippo

Wp panel - Categories - Categories name

That are "Video @es" etc etc? If yes edit categories name and try

June 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm #64443

Alan

I've edited those but they revert back to the version with @es at the end of the category name

June 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm #64444

Filippo

Perhaps wpml doesn't like 2 same name. You can not just change the name?

"Video" in english
"Vídeo" in spanish

The best for me is to do a translation...
why use "house" in english and "house" in spanish, for example i use "house" in english and "casa" for the spanish.

June 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm #64445

Alan

There are certain things you cannot translate!

Can somebody from WPML please respond to this.

June 23, 2012 at 8:34 pm #64464

Amir
Forum moderator

WPML adds language name suffixes to taxonomy (tags and categories) that have the same name as in the default language. It does so, because WordPress doesn't allow two taxonomy items with the same name.

WPML also filters the standard WordPress calls that output the taxonomy, so that these suffixes should be removed from the output.

If you're seeing these suffixes in your site, it means that your theme is using calls that WPML doesn't filter. Can you try to locate the PHP code that displays the category names? We'll see what it is and how to get them filtered.

June 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm #64466

Alan

Really appreciate the quick response time … 

Just did a quick test using the <?php wp_list_categories(); ?> code and they all appear okay in my theme so it's just the Breadcrumb NavXT plugin that's doing it http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/breadcrumb-navxt/

June 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm #64468

Amir
Forum moderator

I'm not familiar with that plugin. WPML comes with it's own breadcrumbs functionality, which works just fine with these texts.

It's documented here:
http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/site-navigation/

Want to try to switch to that?

June 23, 2012 at 8:46 pm #64469

Alan

Just tried and nothing displays with this code: <?php do_action('icl_navigation_breadcrumb'); ?>

June 23, 2012 at 8:47 pm #64471

Amir
Forum moderator

You did install and enable the WPML CMS Navigation plugin, right?

It's available from your 'Downloads' page in the WPML.org account.

June 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm #64473

Alan

Ah, just done that but in the breadcrumb trail with NavXT it also lists the sub cats i.e.

Home > Projects > Art > My Art Project

whereas with your breadcrumb trail plugin it just lists it like this i.e. missing out the sub cat:

Home > Projects > My Art Project

Can it not list the full path?

June 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm #64474

Amir
Forum moderator

We can't make changes in WPML's breadcrumbs functionality right now.

If you'd like us to work on this with the author of NavXT, please check if they're willing to spend some time with us. The changes on their side will be pretty trivial. They'll just need to change the function that displays taxonomy to the standard WordPress API call and everything will work great with WPML.

If you contact them and they're interested, we'll help them make this change very quickly. We cannot take responsibility to their plugin, so we need their cooperation in doing this change.

June 23, 2012 at 9:07 pm #64476

Alan

I'll add a post to their forum and hope they respond, but who/how can they contact you?

June 23, 2012 at 9:18 pm #64478

Alan

Actually, sorry - your plugin doesn't appear to be displaying those correctly either i.e. it's also adding @es at the end. As mentioned previously, if I use the <?php do_action('icl_navigation_breadcrumb'); ?> code then categories display correctly in that outputted list.

June 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm #64482

Alan

Sorry, a further update. Here's how it's displaying:

Casa » Video

when I'm in the category of Video for the Italian site but then when I go into a post that belongs to the Video category it displays as:

Casa » Video @it » My Video

The topic ‘[Closed] @it @es etc etc in categories’ is closed to new replies.