This release of WPML packs important stability improvements, as well as improvements for compatibility with other plugins and themes. We’ve improved the installation and registration process, reducing steps and preventing manual data-entry errors. On the GUI, almost nothing has changed, but the underlying code has been optimized and improved significantly.
Before we dive into a huge list of changes, please note one major difference in WPML 3.1.8, compared to all previous versions. This release allows to have taxonomy in the same name in different languages AND it no longer filters away the @lang suffixes for taxonomy names.
So, if you had taxonomy like ‘Index’ in several languages, it will now be really ‘Index’ and not ‘Index @es’, ‘Index @de’, etc. Previous versions of WPML (and WordPress) could not support these taxonomy names, so we added the language suffixes and filtered them out on the front-end. Now, it’s no longer needed and we’ve also removed the filtering (which caused issues in different cases).
After you update WPML, it will scan and check your database, looking for taxonomy with language suffixes. If found, WPML will offer to rename them, so that you don’t get ugly posts and categories on the front end.
- Click-to-register functionality in Installer, avoiding the need to copy/paste site URL and possibly including un-needed characters.
- Added support for translation of string packages – this is a big deal and I’ll write about it separately.
- Added template tag to display HTML input with current language wpml_the_language_input_field().
- Minor speed improvements related to operations on arrays, string caching and loading of JS files.
- Button “Post type assignments” added to Troubleshooting page allowing to synchronise post types and languages in translation table.
- Fixed category setting for WooCommerce products
- Fixed search form on secondary language – now returning results in the correct language
- Fixed influence of admin language on settings for language switcher in menu
- Fixed issue with caching on page set as front page
- Fixed issue with taxonomy terms not showing on the Taxonomy Translation page
- icl_object_id function now works well also with unregistered custom post types
- Fixed minor issues with language switcher on mobile devices
- Fixed problem with language switcher options during installation
- Textarea for additional CSS for language switcher was too wide, now it fits into screen.
- wp_nav_menu now always displays language switcher when configured
- Fixed custom queries while using a root page
- Fixed DB error when fetching completed translations from ICanLocalize
- Installer: Fixed problem with WPML registration information (site key) not being saved when the option_value field in the wp_options table used a different charset than the default WordPress charset defined in wp-config.php
- Installer: Reversed the order in which the site keys are displayed.
- Fixed pagination and minor permalink issue on root page
- Fixed permalink preview on post edit screen
- Fixed display glitches in wp-admin with RTL languages
- Fixed conflicting values of context when registering strings for translation
- Fixed: Archive of untranslated custom post type should not display <link rel=”alternate” hreflang=”” href=””/> in header
- Fixed language filters for get_terms() function
- Fixed problem with taxonomy (e.g. category) parents synchronization
- Fixed problem with editing post slug
- Removed unnecessary taxonomy selector from Taxonomy translation page
- Fixed some PHP notices on WPML Languages page with “All Languages” selected on language switcher
- Fixed problem with adding categories by simply pressing “Enter” key (post edit screen).
- Removed option to delete default category translations
- Fixed permalink to be displayed properly when set to “Date and Time”
General Bug Fixes
Download and update
If you are running WPML 3.1.7 and above, you should get this update automatically to the WordPress admin (be sure to have WPML registered for that to happen).
If you are upgrading from earlier version, which worked with our discontinued Installer plugin, follow these instructions:
- Deactivate and remove Installer plugin.
- Download the new version of WPML from your account, under Downloads. Be sure to include all WPML components that you are using.
- Deactivate WPML.
- Extract the new version and upload it.
- Activate WPML 3.1.8.
- In the Plugins admin screen, right after activating, you will see a message to register WPML. Be sure to do this registration, so that you receive automatic updates for new versions.
Questions? Ideas? Suggestions? Leave your comments and we’ll reply.