Today we released WPML 1.0.0 – the first solid release of WPML, which also includes a streamlined interface for content translation.

Fixes and improvements

As in previous versions, we owe a huge thanks to all of you who reported problems in the forum. We’re happy to see that the number of problems is constantly dropping as we’re moving from Beta releases to production quality.

WPML now runs smoothly on WordPress 2.6-2.8 (wpml.org is currently on WP 2.8).

No problem is too small or cosmetic. We encourage you to report anything that doesn’t look right and we’ll address each and every issue.

New in WPML 1.0.0

The major new function for this release is the introduction of our translation service, fully integrated into WPML. We’ve already talked about it briefly before, but now it’s official.

What it does is allow you to run a multilingual site without manually doing your own translations. All the documents (posts or pages) that you select are sent to professional human translators who do it for you.

So, what’s the difference between using the integrated translation over using your own friendly neighborhood translator?

  1. The plugin keeps track and remembers what needs to be translated, what’s current and what needs update.
  2. Documents are sent and received from a centralized translation dashboard. One click and they’re all sent.
  3. Completed translations are received immediately.
  4. WPML automatically manages links between translated documents, so that translated documents link to other translated documents and not to the original language contents.
  5. Site structure is automatically synchronized between the original language and the translation (page parents, categories, tags, page order, sections, mini-homes, etc.).

In the next posts, I’ll give more insight on how this works and what you can do with it. With a bit of luck, I’ll also have video demos to show.

What’s next

Remember our poll, asking what you’re using WPML for? The results are in. As of today 72% of the voters are using either just the multilingual or both multilingual and navigation. The rest 28% are using WPML only for its navigational elements.

We’re going to first concentrate on multilingual features. The ones going in to WPML 1.1 will be:

  1. Translate free texts (such as widget titles, tagline, etc.).
  2. Be able to translate custom fields used by other plugins.
  3. Support multilingual links in themes (so you can include a link to /support/ the theme and it will automatically adjust for each language).

How is WPML working for you?

We would love to hear back from you.

After you upgrade to WPML 1.0.0, remember to stop by here and give us your feedback. If it ran smooth before and is still running smooth, we’d like to know. If there were problems before and it’s working better now, we’d like to know. If it worked before and doesn’t quite work now, we’d like to know.

Get the idea? – we want to know.

BTW – we’re in the market for a telented video demo maker (for all the how-to videos we want to create for WPML). Any suggestions will be appreciated.