WPML 1.7.2 doesn’t contain any new features. Instead, we’ve spent the last few weeks ironing out big and small issues reported in the forum.
If celebrity came of to visit you, what you do? Probably clean up the house and tidy anything you can. This is exactly what we’ve done too.
Next week, WPML is going live in a very high-profile site (more news about that coming). For us, this represents a major milestone and we wanted to prepare as well as possible.
We always keep a close eye on forum issues, but this time it’s special. We decided not to add any new features and instead put all our effort into straightening anything we can see.
Stuff that we fixed in WPML 1.7.2
- Bullet proof compatibility with WP Super Cache.
- Fixed bug related to using a revision for a translated page.
- Fixed language names Magyar, Croatian, Persian, Latvian.
- Set correct locales for Chinese (traditional and simplified).
- Fixed potential Cross Site Scripting (XSS) security hole.
- Sticky links work with single quote links too.
- Implemented Sticky links for strings.
- Fixed bug related to special (UTF-8) characters in translation body.
- Added warning on the reset function, to avoid accidental plugin data reset.
- Dozens of small PHP / MySQL errors, which could lead to real errors when combined with other plugins and theme functions.
WPML’s professional translation got a major overall in this release. Yup, you guessed right. This major site is using our professional translation and we wanted to make sure it’s all ticking like a clock.
The professional translation now automatically manages links between pages and posts much better (really well). This means that if one page is linking to another, the translations will link to other translations and not to the original.
If you’re translating a large site, you probably know how much hassle this can save.
Planned features for WPML 1.7.3
We’re almost ready with two major features for WPML. They were supposed to go in to WPML 1.7.2, but this house cleaning pushed them to the next release.
- Language editor – you’ll be able to add and edit languages without hacking the database. So, if you want to have US, British and Australian English, it’s going to be much simpler now.
- Translation for texts entered in theme admin pages. If your theme lets you enter texts for stuff like your copyright or anything else, WPML will make it possible to translate them.
We love feedback
As always, let us know how it’s working for you.