Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jonathanS-28 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
June 20, 2022 at 8:35 pm #11502741

jonathanS-28

I'm trying to override/turn off auto translation for some pages. I've reviewed https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/ and find it has conflicting information. There's an alert box at the top that says "if you need to manually translate any part of your site, please be sure you have Translate Some mode enabled in WPML → Settings → Translation Mode. If you use Translate Everything, it will overwrite your manual translations." However it then proceeds to explain how to turn off automatic translation for selected pages and disable WPML's translation editor. Everything except the initial instruction to have Translate Some mode enabled is perfect for what I want to do. If I ignore that and leave automatic translations enabled, then override for specific pages, will the manual translations I then post be overwritten in some way?

June 24, 2022 at 5:02 am #11535589

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Sorry for the delayed response - it has been a full queue for the past few days and it can take a bit longer to respond.

The page that you mentioned is indeed for people who want to use the Manual Translation method because the builder that they use is not compatible with our translation editors or because they want to use a totally different design.

If you have the "Translate everything" option active at this moment, you will need to switch to "Translate some" so that your content won't be overwritten automatically.

Also, if you turn off the translation editor for a specific page and translate the page manually, that should work, too. My recommendation is to create a full website backup after your create that manual translation, just to be safe in case anything happens, and also if something wrong happens, please do not hesitate to get back to us and we will be more than happy to further investigate on that.

I hope that you will find this answer helpful 🙂

Please let me know if there's anything that's still unclear.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

June 29, 2022 at 6:15 pm #11570699

jonathanS-28

Thank you.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.