Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Some elementor content seems to appear multiple times in the translation editor

Solution: This has been fixed in the latest WPML Versions so please make sure they are all up-to-date.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
August 3, 2020 at 8:25 pm #6728665

julianB-16

I am trying to: Translate with no issues caused by WPML not working properly with Elementor and Hestia Pro.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link (4650) and hidden link (595)

I expected to see: One field corresponding to a single item to be translated

Instead, I got: Duplicate fields for text and image metadata. For page 4650 it's the image metadata that is required to be translated twice. For page 595 it's the whole content that is required to be translated twice.

This is a problem we've been dealing with for a few months already. No solution has been found although this is the second ticket I need to open regarding this issue. It seems there's an incompatibility, but no one from WPML team has found a solution yet.

I'm writing now as I'm translating page 4650 from EN to FR and I've found twice the same image metadata to be translated, although it's attached only once. I'm attaching screen printings (the ones that are named "Empanadas") for you to check out. Thanks!

Previously I've been told that the duplicate fields I found corresponded to WPML not working correctly for manual translations and creating Gutenberg packages for pages built using Elementor. You can referr to this ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translator-editor-questions/

However, although I've been using the translation management since then, I've found duplicate packages for Gutenberg and now I need to add to the problems list these image fields that need to be translated twice.

You'll see in the other attachments (the ones that are named "duplicate fields") that it's the same content from page 595 that has to be translated there. We've tried deleting the Gutenberg package, but it's still there, although we've been following's your colleague Paola's instructions and used the Translation Management instead of doing a simple manual translation.

I hope you can sort this out quickly as we've been dealing with this problem for too long now..

Thanks!!

Duplicate fields 595.png
Duplicate fields 595 2.png
Empanadas Photo 2.jpg
Empanadas Photo 1.jpg
August 4, 2020 at 2:44 pm #6734929

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello!

I had a recent case like that and it turns out that Elementor actually keeps the HTML information from the different gutenberg elements, it happens when you first open a page and click on the body of the page, for example, and only afterwards open or set elementor up on that page.

Then, though, WPML starts reading the elementor code and finds gutenberg code and from there it tries to pick up all the gutenberg code that it finds.

In order to fix this, you need to remove the gutenberg code. you should find the code as an HTML comment that looks like this:

<!-- gutenberg-block-name-goes-here -->

Search for it in the text elements (by using the "text" mode where you can see all the code) and see if you spot them all.

After you do that, please go to WPML > Packages and you'll find a package from gutenberg translations and with the ID of the page. delete it.

That should help you, but please know that if you left even one code of Gutenberg in the elementor page, the package will be recreated and so will the "duplicated" strings.

I hope i was clear enough, but if i wasn't please let me know so i can try to explain it in a different way.

Regards.

August 5, 2020 at 3:00 pm #6741961

julianB-16

Thanks Alejandro for your help. However, I've not found a single piece of code like that in the text elements. I've also inspected the page and found nothing like that.

Last but not least, I wonder how that would also explain the duplicate image metadata fields.

Thanks a lot!

August 5, 2020 at 3:19 pm #6742051

Alejandro
Supporter

Would you allow me access to the site and point me to the right page? i'll need to check what could be going on then.

I have just activated the appropriate boxes for the credential information i need from you. they are private so only you and i will be able to see them.

I suggest you create a temporary user, set it as an administrator and then add those credentials in the fields mentioned above.

August 5, 2020 at 4:46 pm #6742991

julianB-16

Alejandro.

I found a new page that has duplicate text fields. Its ID is 43. And here's the URL hidden link

I've just deleted the packages and eventhough I haven't edited the source page, the packages are still there. So, if it was Elementor creating the gutenberg packages, wouldn't it need that we work on that page in order to create again the package?

What I've done was just work on the translation, discover there was the Gutenberg package, save the translation, add it again to the translation basket in the Translation Management, and then, once it was in the tranlations jobs list try to translate it again from there. So I haven't even opened the source page, and that's why I wonder if this case is similar to the one you've been working on recently.

Thanks a lot for your help and I hope this information helps as well.

August 5, 2020 at 7:36 pm #6743663

julianB-16

Hi, Alejandro,

I've just found a duplicate string now, that actually wasn't duplicate around 2 months ago.
You can check it out in the attachment.

I've actually opened a ticket asking for help as I couldn't find that string by then, and now I've found its content twice. I've tested one of those strings and translated it, but the translation is not visible in the published website.

Those strings correspond to Hestia Pro theme.

Thanks!

Duplicate string.png
August 6, 2020 at 9:49 am #6748061

Alejandro
Supporter

I recorded here while i did what i explained in my previous answer: hidden link

In short:

- Find one of the strings that are duplicated in the elementor edit mode.
- Change the text editor widget to "text" so you can see its code
- Remove the code from gutenberg (in this case <!-- wp:paragraph --> )
- Do that in all the places where the code could be (you can inspect the page source to find them easily)
- Save the page
- go to WPML > Packages
- Remove/delete the gutenberg packages
- Go to the affected page and update it modifying it a bit (even an extra character in the title will do)
- Update the translation and you'll see that the duplicated content will be gone.

Regards.

August 6, 2020 at 8:55 pm #6752203

julianB-16

Alejandro,

You're the best! After struggling with this stupid problem for months you have finally found what it was.

Thanks a lot!

As we've never worked with Gutenberg we didn't know what to look for, now, after seeing your video, everything is much clear. I had indeed ignored the code, sorry for that and thanks for explaining what we had to look for. I thought those pieces of code were normal pieces of code that I had to ignore. There's sometimes too much code on the fields that I think shouldn't be there. Actually, I've asked about that in other tickets but no one said that could cause problems. If there was a way of choosing you as supporter for every ticket, we'd definitely would.

So, just for you to know, most of the pages that had duplicate text field had been rebuilt and the problem was just solved, but it's much easier to sort things out now that we know what was causing the problem. I'd just like to say that we usually click on "Edit with Elementor" directly from the pages / posts dashboards, with no click on the Gutenberg edit area, but if it's Elementor building the code to keep compatibility maybe it's adding it some other way. In any case, thanks for your help.

I'll bear all this in mind for the future.

So now, for page 4650 (that's called "BA Bike Tour: The Paris of South America​") there's a picture that appears twice but it's only posted once. It's the information on the "Media" section of the translator editor, where we complete the image metadata translations. Do you think it's the same problem? Should I look for the gutenberg code on the Elementor text fields?

Then, I wonder what could we do with the duplicate strings that correspond to Hestia Pro theme.

Last but not least, I'll take the chance to ask a silly question. Could you please tell me what's the piece of code I could use in the translation field when there's certain content that shouldn't be translated please? I've been looking for it and I can't find it, maybe I'm not using the correct keywords, but I've been doing my best. Thanks a lot for that too!

Best regards!

Empanadas Photo 2.jpg
Empanadas Photo 1.jpg
Duplicate string.png
August 7, 2020 at 3:42 pm #6757909

Alejandro
Supporter

The duplicated image seems to be a problem with the image itself because it's been picked twice for the same slider, for some reason. the "correct" one is the image that ends in "3" so if you don't need the other image, maybe delete it.

Otherwise you can actually select the images you want to translate by following this procedure:

You can see what i did here: hidden link

Now you also asked:

what's the piece of code I could use in the translation field when there's certain content that shouldn't be translated

I think you are referring to the gutenberg code, right?

If that's the case then search for:

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
or
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

those are the ones that need to be removed. they are coming from Text elements in Elementor, so once you remove them, you'll be good.

In order to know if you actually have that code laying around somewhere, you could just go WPML > Packages and search for "gutenberg", if you have packages there with that name, then find the page or post that has the ID that you can find next to the gutenberg package and there you'll find the code.

Our developers are actually thinking about making some sort of "fix" that will try to make an extra effort to clean this code for you so hopefully it will be implemented in the next version (not 4.4 but maybe a sub-version of that major version which is already in Beta)

You also said:

what could we do with the duplicate strings that correspond to Hestia Pro theme

Please let me know which ones are they and where can i find them both in the back-end and in the front-end. Strings coming from String Translation are different and they might not be duplicates at all (not to the system, at least) but as soon as i'll have more info on this, i'll split the ticket and help you find the problem, ok?

Thanks in advance for the answers (and for your kind words!).

August 10, 2020 at 1:48 pm #6769953

julianB-16

Alejandro,

The kind words correspond to your kind help, so there's nothing to thank. =)

I actually wonder if there's a way you could take an open ticket, that we've been actually working on a few weeks ago. It was related to a missing field to translate a custom caption from a post, maybe it rings the bell. We are not satisfied with the solution proposed.

So, thanks for your help with the duplicate image, I'll delete the one that's named "2" as we actually don't need that. Your video is super clear and helped a lot understanding better all this.

Then, regarding my question about the piece of code I could use in the translation field when there's certain content that shouldn't be translated. It actually referred to something different. What I'd like to do is WPML ignores some widget that we need in english, but actually don't need in the translations. So there's a field for that HTML widget that WPML requires me to translate but I actually would like WPML to ignore that. I hope it's more clear now. Thanks in any case!

Then, regarding the strings it's the ones you can see in my attachment, I looked for them using the kewwords "hosted by it's owners" but it's all the strings that correspond to Hestia Pro header slider.

Thanks again!

6752203-Duplicate_string.png
August 10, 2020 at 4:20 pm #6770945

Alejandro
Supporter

I see.

- There is no way to tell WPML to ignore strings because they basically are read and sent to a standard XLIFF file which is the one that has the content you see in the translation editor afterwards and we don't really filter anything in the translations apart from "structure-related" code like custom fields, etc, which are jsut handled different, not really ignored.

It could be a nice feature, so you might want to suggest it here:
https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

- About the string: i'll need to split the ticket but before i do that i'll need to know 2 things:

1) Where can i see that string in the front-end
2) Where can i see the string in the WordPress panel, i mean, you mention it's from a slider, but where can i see that slider? because i suspect that we will have to do a few steps to register it ourselves (using this guide: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/translating-options-coming-from-themes-and-plugins/ ) and i can help you with it if you find yourself stuck with it.

- Last but not least. i suppose you're talking about this ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translation-editor-not-including-elementor-objects-to-be-translated/

If that's the case, then yes, i can gladly take that ticket. i would ask you to first answer the ticket and i'll let Paola know i'll be taking over it as soon as you reply, ok?

Regards.

August 10, 2020 at 6:05 pm #6771875
julianB-16

Alejandro,

- Thanks for your suggestion!

- About the string,
1) You can see it in our home, it's the slider on the header hidden link
2) You can find that in formation in the theme customizer. On the menu you should click on Appearance > Customize > Frontpage Sections > Big Title Section. I don't really know which is the corresponding file in anycase. Besides, I'll check out the documentation you've recommended.

-Last but not least, that's the ticket I was referring to, I'll answer it right away.

Thanks a lot!

New threads created by Alejandro and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-translate-a-slider-from-the-customizer/

August 11, 2020 at 9:50 am #6776207

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello,

I have split the last answer you gave me so i can take a look at the problem and try to find a solution for it. i also got updated on the last ticket and took it and i'm answering them right now.

I'll proceed to close this ticket since it has already been resolved. See you in the next tickets and in thea meantime i wanted to let you know that i greatly appreciate your patience (we'll get to the bottom of all of this!)

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.