Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
May 19, 2023 at 12:15 pm #13679129

radosvetaI

Hello, I just installed WPML and I got a text box with the following message:
In order to get WPML Media Translation fully working, you need to run this set up which takes only a few moments depending on the total number of posts in your WordPress install.
I pressed the button to complete the setup and got a message: error.
This happened several times.
Can you help?

May 19, 2023 at 3:22 pm #13680405

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for contacting WPML Support. I will try my best to assist you in this matter.

I understood that an Error is appearing when you're trying to set up Media Translation. While checking the debug info, I found that the WP Memory Limit is set to below the recommended. Could you please increase your WP Memory limit and check if that help?

Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/ Memory Limit /
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/ That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. /

See here for more information https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Note: WPML needs a minimum WP Memory limit of 128M to work only under a minimal environment, which means, with a default theme and no other plugins installed.

After making the adjustments, try to complete the setup. I hope it will help.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

May 22, 2023 at 9:28 pm #13693899

radosvetaI

Thank you for getting back to me.
My host increased the memory limit but the error persists.
When I click the Finish Setup button, I get this:
In order to get WPML Media Translation fully working, you need to run this set up which takes only a few moments depending on the total number of posts in your WordPress install.

error

My host tried, too and sent me this message:
I tried to run that WPML setup, and you're right, I'm seeing that error too, although it literally just says "error" and nothing is being logged to the error logs on the server nor to WP Debug if I turn that on. So I have no clue why that isn't working, and it's not really giving me any clues. Do you mind reaching back out to their support to see if there's anything else we could try to adjust, or if there's any way to turn on better debugging for that? Let me know what you hear!

Could you help, please?
What does the 'error' mean and what else can be done to get the app to work?

Thank you for your help!

May 23, 2023 at 12:19 pm #13698895

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,

I would be happy to check and help you to solve the issue. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue.

It would be better to have a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” or "All in One WP Migration" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT
-Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
-If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

May 29, 2023 at 7:01 am #13729129

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hello There,
I hope you're doing fine. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Thanks for sharing the access to your staging site. I have checked and noticed the banner to set up the Media Translation. The setup process was initiated once I clicked on that button(Screenshot: hidden link) and after a while, the setup completed smoothly, without any error messages. The Media Translation page appears after that. Kindly check this screenshot(hidden link) for a better understanding.

Since everything appears fine on your staging site, maybe the issue on your main site happens for some other reasons. Would you kindly check by clearing the caches completely from the main site? If any server-level caching is also enabled on your site, it is suggested to clear those caches as well. I hope it will help.

Let me know the update. I will be happy to assist you if you need further assistance in this case.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

May 30, 2023 at 3:02 pm #13740943

radosvetaI

Thank you, Prosenjit!
I cleared the cache on my computer and this, unfortunately, didn't help.
Then I asked my webhost for help and I just got this reply from him (quoted verbatim):

The only caching you appear to even have on your site is StackPath, which is the CDN you're using with us. So there isn't any other server side cache to clear for the live site. I tried running that setup again, and again just got that "error" message. Does Prosenjit have any clues at all as to what that error message could even be linked to? Just trying to figure out anything else that we could check or update, since that error message gives us nothing to go on. Like do they know if maybe that would be a php limit of some sort that causes that error? Anything like that to give us something to go on.

Would you be able to reply to my webhost's questions, please? We are all stumped by this 'error' message as it's not clear what may be causing it.

Thank you for your help!

May 31, 2023 at 12:08 pm #13747399

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hello There,

Thanks for sharing more information on this. The staging site you've shared is well-configured, but, the only difference I noticed between the Staging site and your main site is the value set for "WP Memory Limit".

From the debug info of your main site, I can see that the WP Memory limit on your main site is set below the recommended. Could you please increase your WP Memory limit and check if that helps?

Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/ Memory Limit /
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/ That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. /

See here for more information https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Note: WPML needs a minimum WP Memory limit of 128M to work only under a minimal environment, which means, with a default theme and no other plugins installed.

Please let me know how it goes. If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

June 6, 2023 at 10:22 am #13777629

radosvetaI

Hello! I sent your reply to my webhosting company and this is what they said:

Unfortunately that's not the issue, as I've already upped the WordPress Memory limit and that line is already in your wp-config.php file. :-/ Not sure how Prosenjit was checking that, but I don't believe that's the problem. If there's anything else they can point me to to check or adjust, let me know, I'm happy to do so!

Please, could you let me know if there is anything else you can do in order to finalise the setup?
This has been going on for quite a few days now and I am eager to finalise it asap.
Thank you

June 7, 2023 at 11:54 am #13785285

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi,

I'm very sorry for repeating the suggestion of increasing WP_Memory_Limit in my last response. I believe you already have adjusted that. But, as the issue persists even after that, then please follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps to solve the issue.

- Take a full backup of the site and database
- Go to "WPML > Support" and click on the "Troubleshooting" link.
- Click on the options mentioned in this Screenshot(hidden link). After clicking one, wait for some time and after getting the configuration, click on the other. Please be informed that confirmation will not appear for "Fix WPML Table Collation".

Once the process gets completed, try to complete the setup.

If you're still seeing the error, then a closer inspection will be required on your main site. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

IMPORTANT
-If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Looking forward to your response and cooperation and I will try my best to solve the issue.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

The topic ‘[Closed] Error when running a set up’ is closed to new replies.