Custom Post Type UI allows you to add custom post types and taxonomies to your WordPress website. Follow this guide to learn how to translate these custom posts and taxonomy terms using WPML.
- Getting Started
- Setting the Custom Post Types and Taxonomies to be Translatable
- Translating Custom Post Type Content
- Translating Taxonomy Terms
- Known Issues
- Getting Help from Our Support
Start by installing and activating the following plugins:
- WPML core plugin, WPML String Translation, and the Translation Management add-ons.
- Custom Post Type UI plugin
If you’re new to WPML, check out our Getting Started Guide. It quickly walks you through different translation options you can use.
We recommend using WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor as it facilitates the process of translating your site content. You can enable it by going to WPML → Settings, under the How to translate posts and pages section, choose the Use WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor option.
To be able to translate custom posts and taxonomy terms, you need to first make the related custom post types and taxonomies translatable.
In our example, we created the “Movies” custom post type and added genres as a custom taxonomy.
Use the following steps:
- Navigate to WPML → Settings.
- Scroll down to the Post Types Translation section and set Movies to Translatable then click Save.
- In the Taxonomies Translation section, set Genres to Translatable then click Save.
Translating the custom posts created using Custom Post Type UI plugins is similar to translating the default WordPress pages and posts.
WPML offers various translation options including assigning the translation job to a local translator or sending the content for translation to a professional translation service. To translate any other custom post type you have created, follow these steps:
- Edit the movie post you want to translate. In the Language box, click the plus icon corresponding to the language you want to translate the movie into. This takes you to the Advanced Translation Editor screen.
- Click the Translate automatically button to load automatic translation. Review the translation to ensure that it is human-readable then click the green checkmark. When you are done with all sentences click the Complete button to publish the translation.
Check our dedicated guide for detailed instructions on how to translate custom taxonomies.
If you need help with translating the custom post types and taxonomies that you created using Custom Post Type UI, visit our support forum.