The Formidable Forms plugin allows you to create forms for creating and searching content on the front-end, and much more. Follow this tutorial to use WPML for making your Formidable Forms multilingual.
If you are a developer, make sure that the Formidable Forms Pro plugin is activated. You should see a Formidable entry in the main WordPress administration menu.
Your site also needs the Formidable Multilingual plugin to be activated. If you are not sure whether this is the case, you should ask your site’s developer.
Make sure that the WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WPML Media Translation plugins are activated. Follow the steps in the WPML beginner’s guide to verify that your setup is correct.
For a better translation experience, activate the WPML Translation Editor. To do this, go to the WPML -> Translation Management page and click on the Multilingual Content Setup tab. There, check the Use the translation editor option in the How to translate posts and pages section and click on Save.
If you are a website owner working with a developer, please ask the developer to go over these settings for you.
To translate the forms created using Formidable Pro, follow the steps below:
- On the WordPress dashboard, go to the Formidable -> Forms page and click on the Edit link for the form you want to translate.
- Click on the Translate Form.
- Add the translated texts, ticking the Complete option under each field, and then click on the Update
You can insert forms into pages by inserting form shortcodes into them. To translate the page that includes your form, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Plus icon in the language meta box to translate the page. As seen in the screenshot below, the page has some text and the shortcode for the form.
- This is the Translation Editor Add your translated text and check the Translation is complete box for the field. Click on the Save & Close button.
This is how the translated page looks on the front-end.
You can find the default messages in the default language by navigating to the Formidable -> Global Settings page and scrolling to the Default Messages section of the Generaltab.
To translate these messages, follow the steps below:
- From the WordPress dashboard, go to the WPML -> String Translation page.
- Select the formidable text domain from the Select strings within domain drop down menu. You can also find a specific default message text using the Search for
- Click on the translations link of the default message string that you want to translate, then fill in the translated text, tick its Translation is complete checkbox and click on Save.
With Formidable Pro you can send email notifications. In order to send notification emails to the users in the same language as the one they used the form in, follow the steps below:
- Edit the default language form and add a Hidden Field to the form, then set the language code to be the default value. In this example, it is “en” for English. Don’t forget to click on the Update button to save the changes.
- Click on the Translate Form
- Edit the Hidden field and change the default language code “en” to be the language code of the secondary language. In our example, it is “es” for Spanish.
- Edit the default language form and click on the Settings button, and then click on the Form Actions
- Click on Email Notification to create the email action of the default language. Check Formidable Pro documentation on how to setup email notifications. Set the conditional logic to send the email when the hidden field value is “en“.
- Add another Email Notification action for the secondary language. Set the conditional logic to send the email when the hidden field value is “es“.
Besides content coming from posts and pages on your site, there are usually some texts coming from other places. The most common examples are themes and plugins.
To learn how to translate these texts, read our documentation page about translating these texts manually or sending them to others for translation.
We have supporters on our forum who are ready six days a week to help you. They are trained in how to use WPML with Formidable Pro.
If you are working with a developer for your site, please use our Translation support forum to get help with translating your site’s content.
If you are setting up the site and WPML yourself, please use our Technical support forum.