In this tutorial, we show you how to create a fully multilingual eCommerce site that sells digital products using Easy Digital Downloads and WPML. This makes products and stores translatable, i.e., it lets your visitors quickly and easily switch between languages and order products in their own language.
- Easy Digital Downloads (version 2.6.6 or above)
- A recent version of WPML (version 3.5.0 or above), including the String Translation and Translation Management add-ons.
- The Easy Digital Downloads Multilingual plugin (version 1.2.2 or above)
- WPML’s Getting Started Guide will help you in setting up WPML in a few minutes. You will want to refer to it later for some of its subtopics, String Translation.
- Easy Digital Downloads documentation will provide you with all the information needed to set it up and add your products.
- Install and activate the core WPML plugin along with the String Translation add-on and go through the WPML setup wizard.
- Install and activate the Easy Digital Downloads Multilingual plugin.
- Install and activate the Easy Digital Downloads Plugin.
Make sure to set the permalink structure to something other than the default. For instance, you can use the Post name option. This is set on the Settings -> Permalinks page. Do not forget to save the changes.
- Translate pages created by the Easy Digital Downloads plugin
- Translate categories and tags
- Translate products
- Translate other texts
Upon activation, Easy Digital Downloads automatically creates various pages that are necessary for a functional checkout flow. These pages are:
- Purchase Confirmation
- Purchase History
- Transaction Failed
As an example, we will translate the Checkout page.
- On your WordPress dashboard navigate to Pages -> All Pages.
- Click on the + icon next to the Checkout page to translate the page.
- Click on the “Copy content from English” button to copy the text from the original language.
- Add your translated text to the title.
- Make sure that the [download_checkout] short code is copied to the body.
- Click the Publish button.
Note that you can translate all Easy Digital Downloads pages in the same manner.
On your WordPress dashboard navigate to Downloads -> Categories. To add a new category and translate it, follow the steps below:
Make sure that your admin bar language switcher shows your default language, in our case. it is English.
- Fill the category name, slug, and description, and then click on the Add New Download Category button as illustrated below.
- Click on the edit link of the category that we have just created.
- Click on the add link found under the language section to translate the category.
- Add your translated text and click on the Add New Download Category to save the translation.
Note that you can follow the same steps to translate the downloads tags.
We have already created a product, if you want to know how to create one, check this tutorial to guide you through.
To translate the product, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Downloads -> All Downloads to see a list of all the products that you have created.
- Click on the + icon to add the translation.
- Add your translated text and add the downloadable file. You are free to add a different file for download different than the one found in the default language.
- Click on the Publish button.
Note that WPML will automatically synchronize the non-text attributes of products. This includes the price and variable prices as they do not require translation.
There are several texts that you can personalize like the Add to Cart button. You can change these texts in the default language by navigating to Download -> Settings. You can find the Add to Cart text in the Misc tab -> Button text. Similarly, you will find translatable texts on the different settings tabs. In the image below, we have edited the text on the button to be Add to Cart Change.
To translate these strings navigate to WPML -> String Translation and search for the exact string. Click on the translations link to add your translated text. Select the Translation is complete option and click Save. See the image below.
You can build your multilingual website that offers downloadable products easily using Easy Digital Downloads, Easy Digital Downloads Multilingual, and WPML plugins. Following the detailed instructions in this tutorial will guide you on how to translate the pages created by Easy Digital Downloads plugin, categories, products and, other textual elements.