GeneratePress is a multi-purpose WordPress theme that is compatible with WPML. Follow this tutorial to learn how to create WordPress multilingual sites using the GeneratePress theme and WPML.
- Getting Started
- Translating Posts and Pages
- Translating GeneratePress Elements
- Translating Texts From GeneratePress Theme, Plugins and Other Places
- Translating GeneratePress Menus
- Translating WooCommerce Elements Using WCML
- Getting Help
Start by installing and activating the following:
- GeneratePress theme
- GeneratePress premium plugin
- WPML core plugin, WPML String Translation and WPML Media Translation add-ons
If you’re new to WPML, check out our Getting Started Guide. It quickly walks you through different translation options you can use.
GeneratePress theme is compatible with WPML’s Translate Everything mode, which allows you to translate your site’s content as you add or edit it.
You can also choose the Translate Some mode. This option allows you to decide what to translate, and who will translate it. Choose between translating your content yourself, sending it to individual translators, or hiring a professional translation agency.
To learn how to translate your content in bulk, see our page about translating pages, posts, or post types from the Translation Management Dashboard.
You can translate GeneratePress Elements in the same way you would translate custom post types.
In the example below, we’ll show you how to translate a header element:
- Go to Appearance → Elements and Edit the element you’d like to translate. From the Language box, click the plus icon next to the language you want to translate your element into.
- You’ll be taken to the Advanced Translation Editor. Add the translations and click Complete once you’re done.
You can now view the translated header element on the front-end:
Besides the content coming from posts and pages on your site, there are usually additional texts coming from other places, such as your theme or plugins.
To learn how to translate these texts, take a look at our page about String Translation.
WPML allows you to translate your menus automatically, manually, or synchronize them across all your languages. To learn more, see our guide to translating menus.
The GeneratePress Premium plugin comes with the WooCommerce add-on. You can activate it by going to the Modules section in Appearance → GeneratePress.
To translate everything that WooCommerce offers, download the WooCommerce Multilingual plugin from your WPML account. Visit our dedicated WCML documentation to learn how to set up a multilingual store and translate your products, categories, variations, shipping classes, and more.
In case you need help translating your site built using GeneratePress and WPML, visit WPML’s support forum.