Follow this tutorial to learn how to create multilingual WordPress sites using the Kalium theme and WPML. Kalium comes with stacks of layout designs, a powerful drag-and-drop content builder, and rich theme options. Everything you build with it can be translated easily using WPML.
|Kalium Page in original content||Kalium Page translated to Spanish|
- Getting started
- WPML translation tools
- Translating your pages
- Translating pages built with WPBakery Page Builder
- Adding translation support for custom WPBakery Page Builder modules
- Translating Portfolio pages and categories
- Translating elements created with Advanced Custom Fields
- Translating texts from Kalium theme, plugins and other places
- Translating Slider Revolution
- Translating Kalium’s menus
- Getting help from our support
- Get help with building and maintaining your site
Make sure that the Kalium theme is activated, by going to the Appearance → Themes page.
Make sure that the WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WPML Media Translation plugins are activated.
WPML offers two translation editors you can use for translating your site’s content:
- WPML classic translation editor (CTE).
- WPML advanced translation editor (ATE) offers automatic translation, a glossary, spell checker, and more! The automatic machine translation service starts at $4.98/month for 5,000 words and provides enough word quota for most sites.
Besides translating your site content yourself, you can also:
- Send your content for translation to a professional translation service.
- Create your own team of local translators from the Translation Roles tab in Translation Management and assign translation jobs to them.
With WPML, you can also translate any types of contents in your site, including pages and posts. For an easy start, read our Getting Started Guide.
The Kalium Theme comes bundled with WPBakery Page Builder.
Visit our documentation page for exact steps on how to translate contents build with WPBakery Page Builder.
WPML allows you to manually enable the translation of custom WPBakery Page Builder modules and modules’ attributes. Check out our guide on defining page builder shortcodes in the language configuration file.
To translate Portfolio items or any custom post type items, you need to follow the same steps as for translating any other types of pages. Visit our documentation page for exact steps on translating the contents yourself.
Portfolio Categories can be translated while translating your pages, on the Translation Editor screen. There, you can translate the portfolio elements as well as your Portfolio Categories.
Additionally, you can translate your Portfolio Categories on the WPML → Taxonomy Translation page. Select the Portfolio Categories from the drop-down menu and a list of your categories will appear. Click the plus icon to translate a category for the respective language and use the dialog box that appears to add your translation.
Keep in mind that the translations of categories are universal: if you make a change, they will be updated everywhere.
Kalium theme comes bundled with the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. However, the setup and usage of its features are recommended to be done by a site’s developer.
Read our documentation to learn more about using WPML with Advanced Custom Fields.
Besides contents coming from posts and pages on your site, there are usually some texts coming from other places. Most common examples are themes and plugins.
To learn how to translate these texts, read our documentation page about translating strings.
The theme comes with the powerful Slider Revolution plugin. We have dedicated documentation that explains how to translate sliders built with Slider Revolution.
WPML allows you to easily synchronize between your language’s menus. We recommend that you see our full documentation explaining how to translate a menu.
In case you need help translating your site built using Kalium and WPML, visit WPML’s support forum.
If you need help with building or maintaining your site, take a look at our list of WPML Contractors. They are experienced developers specialized in developing multilingual sites.