NextGEN Gallery is one of the most popular gallery plugins for WordPress. It provides many useful gallery management features. Its integration with WPML enables easy translation of textual content generated by the plugin.
|Page in original content||Page translated to French|
- Getting started and what to check
- WPML translation tools
- Displaying the Gallery on your translated pages
- Translating your NextGEN Gallery: Title, Caption, Alt Text, Description, and Tags
- Getting help from our support
Make sure that the NextGEN gallery plugin is activated, by going to the Plugins page.
Make sure that the WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WPML Media Translation plugins are activated.
WPML offers two translation editors you can use for translating your site’s content:
- WPML classic translation editor (CTE).
- WPML Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) offers affordable automatic translation, a glossary, spell checker, and more!
Besides translating your site content yourself, you can also:
- Send your content for translation to a professional translation service.
- Create your own team of local translators from the Translation Roles tab in Translation Management and assign translation jobs to them.
- Create a page in your original language and add a NextGEN Gallery to your page. In our case, the original language is English. Once your Gallery is created, make sure to display it on the page and to publish it.
- Click on the plus button in the Language box.
Your Gallery is now displayed on the French version of your page. However, the Gallery is still in English; it still needs to be translated. This will include translating the description, caption, and the rest of the strings.
First, you need to make sure that you have activated the two translation options below.
Go to the WPML → Theme and plugins localization page and then activate the option Translate themes and plugins using WPML’s String Translation and always load .mo files as backup. Click Save.
Stay on the same Admin page and scroll down to the Strings in the plugin section. Select NextGEN Gallery and click on the Scan selected plugins for strings button.
As an example, we will translate the Caption of the image, but the steps are applicable for all Gallery elements:
- Go to the WPML→ String translation page and then search for the string that needs translation. In this case, we are looking for the caption “On this picture, you can see the mountains.”
- Click on the blue translations link:
- Write down the translation. Mark Translation is complete and Save.
- You can also display the entire list of strings to translate by selecting the “plugin_ngg” domain as shown below:
In case you need help translating your site built using NextGEN Gallery and WPML, visit WPML’s support forum.