Este es el foro de soporte técnico de WPML, el plugin multilingüe de WordPress.

Todas las personas pueden leerlo pero solo los clientes de WPML pueden ingresar comentarios. El equipo de WPML responde en el foro 6 días a la semana, durante 22 horas por día.

This topic contains 3 respuestas, has 2 mensajes.

Last updated by Bobby hace 8 meses, 3 semanas.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Autor Publicaciones
marzo 21, 2019 a las 2:42 pm #3407979

developersP

I have a business website in international tourism. So we would be trying to reach both American and English/Australian/Irish/etc. users. Currently our WPML plugin is set as en-us. However some of the content is written in British English despite being tagged as en-us. Would this create a problem with rankings? I've noticed, for instance, that some pages written in American English rank higher in the United States than they do in other countries, so that's what lead me to believe that this is a problem. If this does possibly affect the rankings as I suspect, what is the best way to fix this?

marzo 21, 2019 a las 6:26 pm #3416999

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: Inglés (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hi There,

do you mean you have wrote some content in British English under the En-US language ? This shouldnt cause any issues as they are both technically English but then again this would be more of an SEO question, to which i cant find any official evidence from any articles or documentation verifying this directly from Google but there is quite the debate online if you search for example

"british vs american english for google seo ranking" in Google.

hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

i would say you could technically create an En-UK language within WPML->Languages->Edit languages and then assign these specific content under the new language, or change the language to fit more the American English in order to rank better in the US market , but if you create an en-UK language then you could focus on the British content as well ,but there is not current way to say for example "under en-US i want these 2 specific articles to rank under the hreflang tag for en-UK"

marzo 21, 2019 a las 8:00 pm #3420629

developersP

so, what caused me to believe that it's an SEO issue is that i noticed that we have two different pages using the same particular keyword, one written in british english and one written in american english. on the US version of google the american english page ranks higher, but in all other countries the british english one ranks higher. all of the english content however is under en-us regardless of whether it's written in british english or american english. we also rank substantially lower in general in the united states as compared to the UK and other english countries for a lot of pages. so what i'm wondering is whether the fact that the stated language conflicts with the usage could be viewed as some kind of error or something. anyway i don't think we want to have entirely different content for UK and US english speakers, so would the best solution then be to just make the content more in line with US spelling and usage so that it matches what's in the code?

marzo 21, 2019 a las 8:55 pm #3422885

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: Inglés (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Bellow i have shared some documentation on how WPML works with SEO but yes i believe that would be the most simple solution and it matches with what i have been reading other people mentioning in some articles that google picks up on certain spelling , etc.

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/multilingual-seo/
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/