Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 15:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author Posts
September 14, 2022 at 11:58 am #12051215

stevenH-12

After moving my site from staging to live, my menus are no longer editable: I can run a sync between languages, but: strings are not being updated in the string translation, when I want to switch between menus all menus appear 4 times in the dropdown menu (screenshot) and when switching between languages from the language menu in the top bar, the translated menus are empty.
I tried to make a new menu, but the problems are the same and strings are not being registered for translation in the string translation.
Something must have gone wrong when moving the site from staging to live, but I can't revert as this is a shop and I would lose all new order data.

CleanShot 2022-09-14 at 13.42.54.png
September 15, 2022 at 9:58 am #12058151

Nigel
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Steven

Ordinarily we would want to investigate the problem on a staging site, but in this case the staging site works fine and it is only in production that you have the problem, right?

I'm reluctant to work on your production site in case anything goes wrong.

Are you able to make a copy of the production site available on a development server that we could work on together?

If so, please do, and let me know when you have it available.

I'll set up a private reply now to get credentials for it if that's possible.

If you can't do that, let me know and we can explore other options.

September 15, 2022 at 1:35 pm #12060651

stevenH-12

I made a clone of my site and offcourse, now the problem there is gone there.

More information: after creating the clone I checked the menus and the problem was there; then I performed an update of the plugins and this made the problem disappear. I will now try to perform the update on the live site and see if this makes any change.

September 15, 2022 at 2:47 pm #12061131

stevenH-12

I made the updates on the live site and at first there was no change, however, after clearing all cache I got back the menus as they should be. So I'm relieved it works again, but not sure if this is a real fix.
Could the menu translation have a conflict with any caching?

September 15, 2022 at 3:02 pm #12061305

stevenH-12

I want to add some more information: after my last comment I was able to edit the menus in the normal way, but 10 minutes later the problem was there again. Flushing the cache did not do the trick but flushing the object cache does.
The site is hosted at Cloudways.

Have you got any solution on how to avoid this. I will temporarily disable the object cache as its not reliable at the moment.

September 15, 2022 at 3:22 pm #12061613

Nigel
Supporter

I checked with my colleagues who suspected it may be theme-related—apparently some themes use caching with menus—but you are using Hello Elementor, which doesn't.

Though, actually, you are using a child theme. Is there anything in the child theme that may modify this? Can you switch to the Hello Elementor parent theme, activate object caching, and see if the problem re-appears or not?

(And what are you using for object caching?)

September 19, 2022 at 12:55 pm #12079147

stevenH-12

I did swicth back and forth between child theme and parent theme and was not able to trigger the error again.
Object caching: I'm using Cloudways and object caching is activated from the server, with a drop-in plugin that controls the object caching from the WP admin (for clearing object cache or disabling it)

September 19, 2022 at 2:35 pm #12080045

Nigel
Supporter

>I did switch back and forth between child theme and parent theme and was not able to trigger the error again.

So you can no longer reproduce the problem? Even after reverting to the child theme?

September 21, 2022 at 8:59 am #12092949

stevenH-12

I just reviewed the cloned site again today and in the Child Theme the problem is back. After flushing object cache, the problem is gone again.
In the parent theme I was not able to reproduce the problem (yet) (apart from the problem still being there before I flushed the object cache from the Child Theme)

September 21, 2022 at 10:41 am #12094093

Nigel
Supporter

Could I get a copy of the child theme? And in the meantime leave the parent theme active, and see if it is possible to trigger the problem with the parent active—or not, in which case we can focus on the child theme.

If you share a dropbox link or similar, it will be automatically hidden.

September 23, 2022 at 9:24 am #12109463

stevenH-12

This is the child theme: hidden link

I recreated a new child theme and deleted the files I don't necessarily need, certainly not in staging, just to see if the problem returns. It does.
With the parent theme I was not able to recreate the bug (as of now), so it must be something with or in the child theme.

September 27, 2022 at 10:17 am #12130253

Nigel
Supporter

I've looked through your child theme, it's only really the functions.php file that looks relevant here, but I can't see anything that would affect caching of menus. (The only reference to menus is to register a menu 'additional-menu'.)

I'm wondering if you still have a test with the parent theme ongoing? Can we still say that the issue only occurs with the child theme, when object caching is enabled, and not when the parent theme is active (with object caching enabled).?

September 27, 2022 at 2:47 pm #12133103

stevenH-12

I just rechecked and with the parent theme there is (still) no problem with the menus.

September 28, 2022 at 3:13 pm #12142155

Nigel
Supporter

I've shared your child theme with my colleagues to see if they can spot the issue, as I'm at a loss to explain it myself.

I'll get back to you with their feedback.

September 29, 2022 at 6:55 am #12146103

Nigel
Supporter

Would you have the name of the drop-in cache plugin?

And could you share a screenshot of the available settings?

The topic ‘[Closed] Translated menus no longer connected or synced between languages’ is closed to new replies.