Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 16, 2022 at 8:36 am #11227365

aske-schouN

This is a continuation of the former support issue/reply: #11123151 "Translate internal links automatically with Icon List widget".

I followed the instructions and manually changes all the links in the icon boxes to include the /gdpr/. All links still refer to the non-translated pages. No URL's are redirected to the specific URLs for their languages.

I hope that you will reopen this issue.

Kind regards, Aske

May 17, 2022 at 8:02 pm #11241533

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

I have taken a look at the escalated thread and those links are actually technically not internal links, as they are not dynamic fields.

Instead, the links are having a raw HTML form inside the Elementor Widget which for it is expected that they show up on the WPML Translation Editor and need to get adjusted manually.

The issue that you might be experiencing is that the links lead to subpages, like here:

hidden link

Now, for the translation you would translate this link into:

hidden link

Did you apply the link translation exactly this way?

Best regards
Andreas

May 18, 2022 at 3:10 pm #11248723

aske-schouN

Hi Andreas. I am sorry. I am not sure that I understand your message.

This issue has now been ongoing for almost 2 months and I can't remember what have been done back-and-forth anymore. At some point I tried copy-pasting in the URL's, which should be part of the support thread earlier on. THat didn't work as they somehow got overwritten.

Because of this issue I also havent been building the website as intended. If there is some way out of this mess that 100 % will work and also involve extra work from me then this will be okay with me.

Is there such a way out of this? I am not an expert, that is why I am asking..;-)

Kind regards,
Aske

May 19, 2022 at 1:58 am #11251433

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi Aske,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better for a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “All In One WP Migration” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

The steps are also shown in this video: hidden link

Best regards
Andreas

May 20, 2022 at 9:29 am #11264173

aske-schouN

Hi Andreas. Thank you for your assistance.

I have already given access to all of this, and WMPL should still have this. We also made a duplicate site , etc etc. It is all in the support thread. This ticket has been going on for 2 months, so many things have already been tried.

Itamar has been very much into the issue already.

Is it necessary to do it all again, or could you reuse the access, test sites, etc.?

Kind regards,
Aske

May 21, 2022 at 12:00 am #11269335

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Aske,

I am sorry to bother you with this again, but your older tickets are closed/resolved which for the access credentials are getting removed automatically for security purposes.

The private reply form is enabled again.

Further, I've enabled a private message for submitting the debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Best regards
Andreas

May 21, 2022 at 12:03 am #11269337

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

Additional to my last message:

I have checked the ticket you had with Itamar and it appears that the system did not yet remove the credentials there, and I found some credentials that still work.

I will get back to you later about the issue.

Best regards
Andreas

May 21, 2022 at 12:13 am #11269339

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

It appears that our Second Tier Support has created a custom XML config configuration for your site which is saved at WPML > Settings > Custom XML Config (Tab).

<wpml-config>
  <elementor-widgets>
    <widget name="icon_list">
      <fields>
        <field type="link" editor_type="LINK">link>url</field>
      </fields>
    </widget>
  </elementor-widgets>
</wpml-config>

This config will make the Icon list Elementor widget link field translatable but in order for the config to work, you will need to edit the Icon List widget on every original page where the widget is used with a link.

Then save the page again and translate it.

I have now updated the link for Chapter 1 on the original GDPR page, saved the page again, and opened the WPML Translation Editor.

The links will not show up directly on the ATE interface, as this is non-visual content.

On the top left of ATE click inside the text field with the placeholder "Search source".

Type "http" and you will see what I see on my attached screenshot.

Those links are not translated yet. Please proceed and let us know if you run into further issues.

More details about translating non-visual elements with ATE:
hidden link

Best regards
Andreas

http.jpg
May 21, 2022 at 3:54 pm #11271205

aske-schouN

Hi Andreas. THank you for your reply again. I just did something similar that didnt work, so maybe I misunderstood the directions - and also, I am not quite sure that I understand your suggestion. Could you maybe spell it out even more "for dummies" for me?

My understanding of your text:

1. I need to edit all iconwidgets with the correct URL (side note: I also understood this from the message of former support agent --> and I did this, which is why I got back to you again a couple of days ago.)

2. After 1) I also need to translate the links in the advanced translation editor? (.. eventhough I already translated within the icon widgets in elementor?, because I have done this for all 99 links).

Kind regards,
Aske

May 21, 2022 at 8:23 pm #11271709

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Aske,

Yes, the links will need to get translated inside the WPML Translation, as you can see on the screenshot from my last message.

Please let me know if this worked out as expected.

When it comes to WPML we do have two kinds of translation methods, which should not get mixed.
1) Create original content and translate it with the WPML Translation Editor
or
2) Disable the WPML Translation Editor and create manual translations using the WordPress Editor or a Page Builder.

When translating Elementor with the WPML Translation Editor, which is the recommended way to translate page builder, you should not make manual edits to the translated content.

Instead, you should only use the WPML Translation Editor for creating the translations.

If you would now edit manually the translated page on Elementor, then those changes will get lost, once you translate the page again with the WPML Translation Editor.

Please let me know if you still have doubts or questions about this workflow.

Best regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Translation elementor – still not resolved support ticket.’ is closed to new replies.