This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.50 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Pieter 6 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas Neuber.

Author Posts
July 10, 2013 at 7:01 am #143166

Pieter

I'm not sure whether this has been changed on purpose or it is a bug.

Before WPML 2.9 you could duplicate a post or page and if you then wanted to make changes to the translation, you first needed to click on the "Translate Independently" button within the translated content.

With WPML 2.9 however this button is gone and it seems that no matter what changes you make to the translation, it doesn't really change.

Is this a bug or is it on purpose?

Thanks

July 10, 2013 at 9:15 am #143232

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Hello Piet,

Tried it out in one of my test installations - you are right, no "Translate Independently" button anymore.
Let me consult our development department for this point and I will come back to you as soon as possible.

July 10, 2013 at 9:40 am #143244

Pieter

Thanks for confirming this bug Andreas.

And unfortunately not only the button is missing, but with it it also seems to have a negative effect on the duplicated content, which therefore cannot be edited anymore...

So is it safe to assume that 2.9.1 is around the corner?

July 10, 2013 at 11:58 am #143349

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Piet,

Since 2.9 was published just this Monday, I'm not 100% sure that it will be published soon.

Nonetheless, I haven't received an answer yet from our developers either - if the next version will take a bit longer, I'm sure we can find a workaround.

July 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm #143354

Pieter

Cool, I will await your solution then.

The reason why I mentioned an update to 2.9.1 is that it seems there are quite a few other bugs, with all kinds of fatal errors in the file (as you can see for example here: http://wpml.org/forums/topic/invalid-argument-supplied-for-foreach-5/)

July 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm #143774

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Piet,

Got the feedback - the "Translate Independently" button is still part of the plugin code.
So I will report this officially as a point our developers need to look into.

July 11, 2013 at 1:58 pm #143824

twoworlds

Hi,

I can confirm the same problem with 2.9 !

Regards

Achim

July 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm #143832

Pieter

Thanks for your feedback Andreas.

By the sound of it, there is no quick solution to fix this for users that tend to duplicate content first and then edit it later?

The major advantage of duplicating content instead of clicking "add translation" is that you can have the same permalinks, which in many cases (but obviously depending on the content) is quite useful.

July 12, 2013 at 11:38 am #144133

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Piet & Achim,

Although the release date is not yet fixed, I think this issue needs to be addressed very soon.
Duplication is almost as important as translation, esp. for users with bigger amounts of content.

However, this missing box seems to be symptom of a deeper issue.
This code in "plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/menu/post-menu.php" adds the "Translate independently" box: http://pastebin.com/ZUqibn88

As you can see the whole box is wrapped in a if-condition.
if(get_post_meta($post->ID, '_icl_lang_duplicate_of', true)) => if the current post has an database entry "_icl_lang_duplicate_of" in table "wp_postmeta" *then* show the box "Translate independently"

So these entries are missing. Would you mind sending me a database dump file for your website via email for additional checks?

My email is andreas.n@onthegosystems.com - thanks in advance!

July 12, 2013 at 11:52 am #144145

Pieter

Hi Andreas, I just sent you the dump from my brand-new fresh local WordPress install, have fun with it!

July 15, 2013 at 11:18 am #144750

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Piet,

Thanks, I got it and will also pass it on to our programmers.
Forgot to ask before, could you provide me with a Post-ID (or post name) for which the "Translate Independently" box didn't appear as expected?

July 15, 2013 at 11:38 am #144762

Pieter

Hi Andreas,

Page ID 5 (default language)
Page ID 6 (duplicate for Chinese)

Hope this helps.

PS found another bug, will open a separate thread for that.

July 17, 2013 at 8:17 am #145673

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Piet,

Thanks a lot and sorry for the delay!

Our developers are working high-speed on a WPML 2.9.1 to fix this bug.
(is very much confirmed meanwhile, it has appeared with many 2.9 users).

July 17, 2013 at 8:31 am #145682

Pieter

Thanks for the head's up Andreas, so 2.9.1 after all, as I expected 😉

marking this resolved now and hope that 2.9.1 with the bugfixes comes soon!

Thanks,
Piet