Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client needs the ES menu links to point to the corresponding WPML-translated ES pages, but they are pointing to the EN pages instead. This issue is occurring in the ES Footer menu, and changes in the ES theme Appearance > Editor affect the EN pattern as well. The client wants to fix this issue and learn how to prevent it in the future.
Solution:
1. Delete the existing header and footer navigation menus and templates.
2. Create new navigation menus and templates in the primary language.
3. Use WPML Translation Management to create second language instances of these menus and templates.
4. Switch to the second language in the WP Admin console.
5. Open the second language instances of each element via Appearance > Editor > Template etc.
6. Remove each page link from the second language navigation menu, and replace it with a link to the corresponding page in the second language.
This process ensures that both the primary and second language navigation menus have the correct labels and page links.
Additionally, ensure you have translated your Menu template from WPML > Translation Management.

If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If further assistance is needed, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 7.70 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by steveR-25 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author Posts
June 20, 2024 at 12:46 am #15759118

steveR-25

Background of the issue:
I need ES menu links to point to ES translated pages. ES menu links point to EN pages (primary language); the links are not transferred to the corresponding WPML-translated ES version of the page. This is happening in the ES Footer menu. When I go into the ES theme Appearance > Editor to change the links in the ES pattern, they are changed in the EN pattern too. I cannot find a place in WPML admin menu to manually correct the links in the ES menu. This problem happened before on my site and WPML helped to fix it. Now it is happening again. I'd like to 1) fix the problem and 2) learn how to avoid it in the future.

Symptoms:
ES menu links are pointing to EN pages instead of the corresponding WPML-translated ES version of the page.

Questions:
How can I fix the ES menu links to point to the correct ES translated pages?
Where in the WPML admin menu can I manually correct the links in the ES menu?
How can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

June 20, 2024 at 7:04 am #15761647

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. While you are waiting for one of my colleagues to take this ticket and work on it, let me provide you with the first debugging steps and try to help with the issue quickly.

Make sure you have translated your Menu template from WPML > Translation Management.

- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-content-created-using-gutenberg-editor/translating-sites-that-use-full-site-editing/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Drazen

June 20, 2024 at 2:07 pm #15764397

steveR-25

Thanks for the tip, but I have already tried this suggestion and it does not solve the problem.

Details: when I make a minor change to the page templates then translate again with WPML > Translation Management, the Navigation menu words are translated but the Navigation links are not changed from the EN to ES pages. If I "Edit" the Template translation from the Review screen in WPML, nothing loads to the edit screen -- it says NaN% and has a spinning load gif.

See the attached screen shots to help understand better.

WPML Edit Template Translation NaN.jpg
WPML Review footer link not translated.jpg
WPML header link correct.jpg
June 20, 2024 at 8:57 pm #15767183

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

June 20, 2024 at 9:23 pm #15767387

steveR-25

"You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply."

- I do not see the fields you mention, only the Reply box. I logged out and logged in again -- same thing. Please enable the private box.

June 20, 2024 at 9:24 pm #15767417

steveR-25

BTW also I clicked on your link to "The private box looks like this: " and I get "Access Denied"

June 20, 2024 at 11:28 pm #15768270

steveR-25

Hi. Here's how I fixed this (Block Editor, no normal WP menu support):
Deleted header and footer nav menus and templates.
Created new nav menus and template primary language.
Created 2nd language instances of nav menus and templates via WPML Translation Management.
Switched to 2nd language in WP Admin console.
Opened 2nd language instances of each element via Appearance > Editor > Template etc.
Removed each page link from the 2nd language nav menu, and replaced it with a 2nd language page link in the nav menu.

Now both primary and 2nd language nav menus have correct labels and page links.

IDK why translating a nav menu with WPML doesn't also point to the corresponding translated pages, but in my case I had to do the above steps to make each translated nav menu point to the correct pages.

steveR-25 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-06-20 23:28:14.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.