This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
September 18, 2019 at 1:18 pm #4597053

mariannaG

I am trying to:
Recent updates have affected the font style of the translated side of my site.
I would like for the font style to work as previously.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
All Russian pages of my site: hidden link

I expected to see:
hidden link but in English.

Instead, I got:
hidden link

September 18, 2019 at 3:52 pm #4598421

mariannaG

Hi Laura,
The migration was completed successfully.

September 19, 2019 at 1:11 pm #4605077

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I checked the site - strangely, the texts are in the "correct" font but it's not Poppins, according to inspection should be Helvetica Neue which supports Cyrillics.

As for the menus, they are indeed in Poppins and since there is no Cyrillics for this, Times is used. I even tried to install the theme on a fresh site and as you can see here: hidden link the font in the language switcher is not the same.

I do not doubt that before the last update it worked for you, but from the information I have now I can't tell why. Maybe there was some kind of script or CSS that was deleted. The only way to know would be to restore a backup from before the problem and compare it to the current version.

Otherwise, I can suggest changing the font Poppins with one that supports Cyrillics (from here for example: hidden link)

September 22, 2019 at 7:12 am #4617391

mariannaG

Hi Laura, thanks for your help.
Okay noted..
So to implement a different font style for the Russian translated side of my site, i need to include the following CSS?:
:lang(ru) p {
font-family: Helvetica Neue;
}

Thanks,
Marianna

September 23, 2019 at 11:35 am #4623125

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

yes, that should work (in Appearance > Customizer).

If it doesn't, please let me know and I'll check it.

September 23, 2019 at 1:06 pm #4624247

mariannaG

Hi Laura, thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately the CSS is not working.. I tried the previously mentioned with no reaction:
:lang(ru) p {
font-family: Helvetica Neue;
}

September 25, 2019 at 7:26 am #4636237

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

please try

html[lang="ru"] body {
        font-family: "Helvetica Neue",sans-serif !important;
}
October 2, 2019 at 7:52 am #4677579

mariannaG

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the css proposal. Unfirtunately it doesn't seem to have an effect.
PSA screenshot of customizing screen. I have left the code there for you to inspect.
Please advise. Thanks

October 3, 2019 at 10:05 am #4686679

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I examined the site better, and instead of setting a different font for language, you should be able to override settings with something like this:

body{
font-family: 'Poppins', 'Helvetica Neue',
}

in this way, if the Poppins font is not available for Russian, it will show automatically Helvetica.

However, depending on how your theme is built, you might need to set this for every (or most) element.

I tried setting this same rule for h1 (via the browser console) and it worked, but it seems it won't work for body alone. You might want to check with your theme's support for more insight about it.