Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
December 11, 2019 at 7:29 am #5104191

alexandruN-4

Hello,

Im a developer currently working on this website and i encounter a problem regarding having /en and /fr in the link.

We have a multisite installation with different websites. The main website is :

hidden link

The website im encountering the problem is

hidden link

The problem that i encounter is, i've set up a lang.php file so the default language (english) will show up in the url, that works fine. But my client wants to remove the /blog part from the website URL so it wont be in anyway linked to the blog website (hidden link). So i went to the network settings and altered the website URL from /blog/quiz/ to /quiz/. Everything works fine this way, but when i try to access a quiz(custom post type), i get tons of 301 redirects untill the browser gives up (err too many redirects).

Any ideea how can i fix this ? If i set up the language to show as a get parameter in the link, the website works fine, but if the language is part of the URL, this gets broken.

I've talked with the system administrator there because i thought this was a server redirect error but he confirmed that wordpress forces these 301 redirects.

Thanks and have a great day !

December 11, 2019 at 8:12 am #5104319

alexandruN-4

So i've tryied to replicate their system on another server and i can't seem to get it to work. After a talk with their system administrator, he informed me they have some proxy rules that allow this to work, unfortuately il have to wait for a response from their side to see if i can give you access to the website so you can investigate further.

December 11, 2019 at 8:36 am #5104411

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Sure, I will wait for your feedback.

Thanks

December 11, 2019 at 9:19 am #5104831

alexandruN-4

Ok. So i've talked with the guys and its ok for you to log into it.

Could you please mark my next reply as private so i can post the details to you ? Thanks !

December 12, 2019 at 2:57 am #5111715

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Sure, enabled the private reply for you.

Thanks

December 12, 2019 at 7:52 am #5112303

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

What type of VPN are you using? Can you also provide me server address and remote id?

Also, I would need access to your files to see how it configured, so can you please check it.

You can edit your previous private reply to send the details to me.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

December 12, 2019 at 8:05 am #5112401

alexandruN-4

If you are using windows, you can use OpenVPN Client.
hidden link

For linux, im using Pritunl
hidden link

You dont need any server adress or remote ID. The file i uploaded above as a Database Dumb is an ovpn file (Open VPN file). You just have to import it into a OpenVPN client and all the details should be there. Then you just hit connect and enter the username and password above.

Also, you can find the details if you open the .ovpn with a text editor and all the details should be there.

December 12, 2019 at 8:33 am #5112607

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Thank you for the details.

I followed the steps as you mentioned but still the page is showing "This site can’t be reached" do I need to add some details to the /etc/hosts/ file too?

Thanks

December 12, 2019 at 8:39 am #5112627

alexandruN-4

As i said in the private post.

After you set up the VPN please set the DNS to 10.184.1.200. If you are on Linux operating system, you need to go to the etc/resolv.conf and paste nameserver 10.184.1.200 above all nameservers there.

December 12, 2019 at 8:50 am #5112759

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

It's working now.

I went to the hidden link and click on .net and I can browser the page without any issues.

Am I missing some steps here? if you are available now, I request you to open a new chat so we can discuss this issue more quickly.

Thanks

December 12, 2019 at 9:06 am #5112829

alexandruN-4

For taxonomies the translation works fine. For post types is the problem.

After you browse to .NET, please click on Find Out More , on any of the posts there. You will see the infinite 301 redirect.

December 12, 2019 at 9:19 am #5112945

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I would need to check the files on the server so it is ok to install a plugin called https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-file-manager/ on your site?

Also, I would need to permission to disable WPML to check the issue further.

Thanks

December 12, 2019 at 9:31 am #5113081

alexandruN-4

Let me talk to the client, see what i can do about you accessing the files. Do you need read/write permission aswell ? Or just to see the files ?

You can disable WPML without a problem, that is a dev enviorment.

December 12, 2019 at 9:32 am #5113095

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Yes, I would need read/write permissions to debug the issue.

Thanks

December 12, 2019 at 10:19 am #5113415

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Thank you for the files read access.

From what I can see your theme has implemented some rewrite rules and sometimes it can create conflicts too, so I request you to disable all non-wpml plugins and set the theme to default theme and see if the quiz are accessed properly.

If it's necessary to enable the theme to debug the issue, I request you to disable all custom functions that's dependent on the theme as well as rewrite functions and see how it goes.

Thanks