Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
October 23, 2018 at 8:45 pm

jonathanF-3

Original website is in french. The complete website is translated in english (2nd language).

One of the slug was incorrect so it was translated to english. Then all of a sudden, 4 of the english page are 404, the rest of the site is perfectly fine.

October 23, 2018 at 8:47 pm #2844077

jonathanF-3

Please allow me to reply as a private post so I can send you the problematic url's

October 24, 2018 at 3:19 pm #2847043

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I'm enabling private message for the next reply so you can share with me the links.
Please also share the links to the original French pages.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 24, 2018 at 3:21 pm
October 24, 2018 at 8:47 pm #2847825

Itamar
Supporter

Thank you.

Could you tell me please what was the slug that was corrected?
Please tell me how it was before and after the change?

October 24, 2018 at 8:48 pm #2847827

jonathanF-3

I think it was:

/en/equipe/name-here
and was corrected to
/en/team/name-here

October 24, 2018 at 8:57 pm #2847863

Itamar
Supporter

Could you please explain to me where did you change equipe into team?
Are all the em/team/ pages give 404?

October 24, 2018 at 8:58 pm #2847864

jonathanF-3

I don't know where it was changed, but it was properly translated (and not hardcoded somewhere)

October 25, 2018 at 4:46 pm #2850513

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I've checked things on your site and can see that the pages that are not working are child pages. However, the translated parent page works. /en/team/
I've consulted my teammates about this, and first, we would like to ask you to go to Settings -> Permalinks and re-save the permalinks of your site.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

Can you please try it and tell me if solves the problem?

If this will not work then, I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin.
If possible get your site into a minimum environment.
Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentyseventeen and no plugins activated but WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to Twentyseventeen (for example).
If it persists, then deactivate all plugins except WPML and its add-ons.
Then please check if the problem persists.
If it does not persists so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 25, 2018 at 4:52 pm #2850520

jonathanF-3

Hi Itamar,

thanks for your reply. Please remove the full link from your previous post.

We already tested to save the permalinks, that's the first thing we did. The theme is a Genesis one, I would be surprised if it's not compatible.

October 25, 2018 at 11:03 pm #2851288

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

For your information, all external links are hidden, and only you and our support team can see them. In any case, I've removed the full link as to your request.

Have you tried the minimum environment that I've suggested?
If not please try it.
The Genesis framework is compatible with WPML.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/translate-genesis-framework-different-languages-using-wpml/
But even with compatible themes and plugin, bugs might occur. This is also why I'm asking for the minimum environment.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 29, 2018 at 6:53 pm #2859258

jonathanF-3

Hi,

we did some test. The problem is with WPML.

We recreated 10 pages from scratch, with different slugs. (We basically re-did all those problematic pages).

Here's the exact problem : If we change a parent page slug manually after all pages are created, it creates a 404 page only on the child page.

Here's a link you can watch to see the problem :
hidden link

October 30, 2018 at 6:32 pm #2863317

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the video.

I've followed the same steps that you are showing in the video with a clean WordPress installation on my local server, and I could not replicate this problem. I've then proceeded to check if the issue is happening with Genesis theme, so I've installed the Genesis framework (2.6.1) and the Genesis sample theme (I do not have with me the Showcase Pro theme). Even with the Genesis framework, I could not replicate this issue. Therefore I would like to ask you please once more to try the minimum environment procedure.
Is it possible for you try it?
If not, then please tell me if you need help with that and I'll make a copy of your site and test it on my local server.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 30, 2018 at 8:34 pm #2863619

jonathanF-3

Hi Itamar;

enabling wp-debug, I'm getting this error :

Notice: wp_localize_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.0.) in /home/groupeplante/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4161

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/groupeplante/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:4161) in /home/groupeplante/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1219

October 31, 2018 at 11:04 am #2865471

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I cannot see how those messages are related to this issue. There is no mentioning of WPML in those messages. They might be related, but for now, I do not know how. I'll now try to make a copy of your site and continue to debug the issue on my local server.

I'll keep you updated here.

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] 404 error on only 4 pages’ is closed to new replies.