Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Sukwoo Hong 2 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
June 10, 2017 at 2:31 am #1295431

Sukwoo Hong

I want 404 not found page to be translation completely in Korean, Japanese, German, English, and Chinese Simplified.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely from,

Sukwoo Hong

June 12, 2017 at 10:46 am #1296201

Joanna

Hello Sukwoo Hong,

Could you please tell me, how your 404 page is created? Is it a native WordPress page or a theme template?

If it's a native WordPress page, you need to translate it just like any other page. If the 404 page contains any widgets, you'll need to translate these widgets using the String Translation module.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/

If it's a theme template and it's correctly localized, you need to scan the theme for strings in WPML->Theme and plugins translation and then translate the strings in WPML->String Translation.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

In addition, please make sure that all your plugins, the theme, and WordPress itself are up to date. If not, please update them. Remember to make a full backup (files and the database) before updating.

June 22, 2017 at 12:21 pm #1303611

Sukwoo Hong

Thank you for your kind explanation, but could you kindly tell me,
how to input keywords in string translation for search?
I'm getting hard time finding out accurate keywords to put in search box for finding out string for translating 404 not found page.
It sounds pretty ambiguous.

Here are also debug information.

Thanks you

June 23, 2017 at 8:13 am #1304220

Joanna

Hello Sukwoo Hong,

Just search for the strings that contain words that you can see on your 404 page, e.g. "oops" or "can't find what you need". If you cannot find these strings, it may mean that these strings are not properly localized.

July 29, 2017 at 2:53 am #1330164

Sukwoo Hong

Hello

I tried to search up using all keywords, then when I input "Oops", then some of the strings are speculated to be right, but I'm not confident, since there's no way I see the error page unless there is real fatal error in system or server.

I'm now uploading some bunch of images, specially, image 3 is assumed to be the right one, but would it be?

Thank you

July 31, 2017 at 4:03 pm #1331491

Joanna

Hello Sukwoo Hong,

Yes, it looks like the string you are looking for (the one from the 3.jpg screenshot). Please translate the string and mark the translation as completed. For testing purposes, you may just add the language code to the string in English and check if the front end changes. If so, you may add the correct translation.

August 1, 2017 at 5:29 pm #1332618

Sukwoo Hong

I have completed and saved the translation I have done as you can confirm evidently in the screenshot.

But in case of your explanation for testing purposes, I cannot understand at all your saying:
"just add the language code to the string in English and check if the front end changes, If so, you may add the correct translation."
to be honest, just in text.
Could you please tell me as specific as possible with visual materials?

Thank you

August 2, 2017 at 6:14 pm #1333571

Joanna

Hello Sukwoo Hong,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that if you want to check first if it's the string you are looking for you don't need to add the correct translation. You may add a language code to the default string, e.g. have the "Oops!" string, you may use "Oops! FR" as a French translation to quickly check if the French version appears correctly on the front end.

I can see that you preferred to add correct translations and that's even better. I just suggested testing if it's the desired string by adding the language code in case you don't know the correct translations yet.

I checked your website and I can see correct translations. Could you please confirm that everything works for you as well?

August 6, 2017 at 2:04 am #1335886

Sukwoo Hong

Yes, but what I'm trying to know is, "How did you confirm whether the 404 error pages are translated correct", since I have no way to see them in web-page unless there's fatal errors by virus, but hopefully in common sense that's not desirable, so I have no way to confirm the translations are well applied, so

I would like you to tell me how to confirm it.

Thank you

August 8, 2017 at 8:25 am #1337253

Joanna

Hello Sukwoo Hong,

It's enough to try to enter the page that doesn't exist. I tried with hidden link since I was sure that you don't have a page with "dahfgsagfgasdf" slug on your site.

You can also enter the 404 page directly by going to hidden link.

August 8, 2017 at 2:58 pm #1337644

Sukwoo Hong

1) I want to translate 'helpful links' and below-existing elements in list.
2) Some texts are little down-sided and cut in second screen shot.
3) The texts are somehow so up-sided that uncomfortable with visuals.

Could you kindly help with me this?

August 10, 2017 at 8:03 am #1339088

Joanna

Hello Sukwoo Hong,

Since normally we only deal with one issue per ticket, may I ask you to open another ticket so that issue can get dedicated attention? This will also help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum.
You may assign the ticket to me during the ticket creation. I'll be happy to help you with the issue.

Before you open a new ticket, please check how the links are added. If it's a custom menu added in Appearance->Menus, then you need to translate the menu there.
You may find this article helpful: http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/.

If that's not the case, please open a new ticket.

August 10, 2017 at 4:08 pm #1339519

Sukwoo Hong

I think this is not related to menu translation at all, so decided on to create a new ticket as your instruction, so I would consider this to be resolved right now.

Thank you