This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 3 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 6, 2017 at 1:58 am #1269706

ryanW-5

hi, Itamar

URL of (my) website where problem appears:
hidden link

If you paste this link above directly into Browser and hit enter, it goes to 404.
But with the exact location, if you go from site menu, the page is right there.
hidden link

this happens only when WPML is activated, please help.
thank you

May 7, 2017 at 2:36 pm #1270057

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hello, @ryanw-5.

Thank you for contacting the WPML support forum.

This is a weird case indeed.
WPML seems to function alright because the Language Switcher is working fine and is showing you the correct page.
I suspect a collision with another plugin. Maybe the Yoast SEO plugin.
Please try the following.
If possible get your site into a minimum environment.
Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentyfourteen and no plugins activated but WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to Twentyfourteen (for example).
If it persists then turn off all plugins but the WPML (leave WPML and its components active).
Then please check if the problem persists.
If it does not persists so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back and report to me here, please.
You can check all our compatible plugins in here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 25, 2017 at 4:16 pm #1284714

ryanW-5

hi, Itamar

I finally have time to test it,
I disabled all plugins and have confirmed it's caused by WPML. The issue occurs only when WPML is activated (the only one plugin that's activated).

please investigate on this testing site:
hidden link

thank you

May 25, 2017 at 4:18 pm #1284716

ryanW-5

fyi,

If you remove the "/" in the end of the URL, the page shows up normally. Very weird.

May 25, 2017 at 4:31 pm #1284728

ryanW-5

fyi,

If you switch to default permalink, the page shows up normally as well.
like this >> hidden link

May 25, 2017 at 4:35 pm #1284733

ryanW-5

but once I switch to default permalink, all second languages went 404, you can test it on the previous link. I think it might be related to the original issue.

May 25, 2017 at 5:12 pm #1284771

ryanW-5

for you to test the original link issue, I've switched back the permalink to post-type.

Also I've solved the "all second languages went 404 issue" (with default permalink) by changing WPML URL link to this:hidden link, in case you need to know.

thanks, looking forward to the solution.

May 30, 2017 at 5:54 am #1286935

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi, @ryanw-5 and sorry for the late response here.

I think that it would be best if I'll take a look at the backend of your site.
For this, please read and approve the following.
I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.
For this, I'll need to install the Duplicator plugin on your site.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] 404 URL with "/" in the end’ is closed to new replies.