This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Diego Pereira 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
May 8, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Scot Powers

I am trying to:

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: English footer when turned off

Instead, I got: French footer

May 8, 2019 at 7:12 pm #3770349

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @scot Powers, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, the title of your ticket displays a different issue than the description. Could you please elaborate a little more on this issue, so I can better understand? Sometimes screenshots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

A 500 error means that there is an error in the PHP code that your site runs. The most frequent cause of 500 errors is your server running out of memory. This can happen if the memory allowance was marginal before you activated a plugin and with that plugin activated, there is not enough memory.

See more details and how to solve the issue here: https://wpml.org/faq/500-error/

Please enable WP_Debug, WP_Debug_log and WP_Debug_Display on your website, it will display more details about the error: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/ - e.g.

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true);

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Diego

May 8, 2019 at 9:03 pm #3771207

Scot Powers

So, both of these are occurring. On my live site, I get 500 errors, intermittently, usually corrected by refreshing the page. I cannot turn off wpml on my live site, as it both affects my users, and it also turns my english footer to French.

So, I have a dev site I've shared, turning it on currently returns an error. (How would you like me to share that with you?)

I have memory set to 2048m, using WordPress 5.2 , PHP 7.2, and Avada (child) Theme version 5.7
I do also have debugging turned on with results.

May 9, 2019 at 3:27 pm
May 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm #3777737

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

I checked your debug log and there is some errors related to WPML. However, I noticed that you are using a very old version. Could you please update WPML and WPML extensions to the lastest versions and check if the issue persist? You can donwload the lastest versions from here: https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Please let me know if the issue still occurs with the lastest versions.

Kind regards,
Diego

May 10, 2019 at 7:02 pm #3787491

Scot Powers

Thank you Diego,

It is unfortunate that I missed the WPML version when cloning the production site to dev. I have since updated the WPML versions and testing. Of course 🙂 I have yet to recreate the issue on the dev site. While my production site is still affected, I will have to turn off WPML there as I continue to provide useful data for your assistance. I will update soonest.

May 13, 2019 at 3:50 pm #3800325

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks! Please let me know if the issue is solved with the new versions.

Kind regards,
Diego

May 18, 2019 at 11:34 am #3838865

Scot Powers

Unfortunately I am still having problems when switching languages. I was successful in ensuring plugin's were most recent versions on the dev site. I've moved dev to production with the belief that would remove the 500 error when switching languages. It has not.

I would like to have you look into the live site for assistance.

May 20, 2019 at 12:10 pm #3846625

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Could you send us access to the dev/staging site (not production)? If os, please send us access to the WordPress dashboard (website URL, login and password) I'll check and do some tests. - Please use the private field to send the sensitive data - do not post if you do not see it.

IMPORTANT Please backup a working copy of site files and database before.

Please also install these plugins:
Duplicator: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
File Manager: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-file-manager/
All-in-one WP Migration hidden link
Cloudways WordPress Migrator: https://wordpress.org/plugins/bv-cloudways-automated-migration/

Kind regards,
Diego

May 20, 2019 at 4:58 pm
May 21, 2019 at 4:49 pm #3857421

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks. I did some tests and the issue seems related to the server. It seems that the website is using a lot of server resources.

I did a test by refreshing several times the homepage on a secondary language, and eventually got a Internal Server Error. After that I checked the error log and the wp_debug_log and there is no PHP errors on it, which means that this is a true "server error".

I tried to create a duplicator package but it got 18gb of files, even with the file filter active, which is not normal for a WordPress Website. I tried to generate a package but also got a server error.

I disabled a few plugins (WPML is still active) and refreshed the homepage several times. The issue does not occur anymore, you can check on this video: hidden link - This also means that the issue is not directly related to WPML.

Could you please check the server errors with the suppot of your hosting? Apparently the website is using many resources above the capacity of the server.

Kind regards,
Diego