This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by bartU-2 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
March 15, 2019 at 4:59 pm

bartU-2

Hi,

I have this error, which is solved only when I totally deactivate all WPML plugins.
So it is certainly a WPML caused bug, which crashes the whole website !

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

When I look at the server error log:

[Fri Mar 15 17:30:53.378473 2019] [core:error] [ AH00124: Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

I had this very same issue with your plugins on another server. I moved the website to a whole other server from a different provider, and it’s the same issue !

This must certainly be a major bug in the WPML, as the site functions normally when I deactivate your WPML plugins. I can’t use this website with the plugin like this, when it crashes every day totally.

Can you urgently help me with this please ?

Best regards

March 16, 2019 at 4:18 pm #3360913

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

Can you activate PHP debugging then activate WPML, we may find a logged error that will help us resolve this issue.
1. Please follow the debugging information provided here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/ .
2. Repeat the action of creating the problem(Activating WPML and visiting a page).
Check if debug.log file has some errors.

Can you also install the File Manager plugin so i can view the content of debug.log and analyse also the content of .htaccess if available ?

When i activate WPML and visit the root page i get totally redirected to /nl/ page.

So i switched URL format to use url parameters rather than languages in directories and there was no redirections and the page rendered correctly.
Let me know if this format is a viable workaround for you.

I can say that there is a redirection which is set outside of WPML that is causing this issue. Maybe in this case, using the root page option with languages in directories became mandatory.
To exclude the possibility of a conflict with another plugin, would you repeat your tests with all non WPML plugins deactivated ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

March 20, 2019 at 9:59 am #3387025

bartU-2

Hi,

When I i switched URL format to use url parameters rather than languages in directories and there was no redirections, then indeed the page rendered correctly. So it is after changing the WPML setting to use /nl/, /fr/ etc, that the error occurs. We absolutely need folders for languages.

I followed all your steps in your previous message, and I installed "file manager".

I disabled all plugins, except the WPML plugins, and the error still persists now: 5OO server errors due to too many internal redirects

So please help us fix this issue.

Thanks

March 21, 2019 at 8:05 am #3396507

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

My apologies for the late reply. If you are having 500 Errors are not being able to access the backend, we should recover the website first then handle this issue.
Please connect with FTP and rename the /plugins/ folder in /wp-content/. This will deactivate all plugins and let you access your backend again. Rename back the /plugins/ folder and activate your plugins.
Please install Duplicator package and allow me to take a snapshot of your website. I will test locally what is causing this issue with WPML.
I activated the private box to share the login credentials securely.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

March 21, 2019 at 6:37 pm #3417455

bartU-2

Hi,

Let me explain the issue further:

1/ backend was always accessible
2/ Only the frontend gives a 500 error (too many internal redirects)

I installed duplicator ...

Please help us, as in half a day we need it to work properly

March 22, 2019 at 5:52 am #3437547

bartU-2

You already have the login in the private box of my first post. Keep me posted plz

March 22, 2019 at 12:24 pm #3440151

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

After some investigations, it seems that there is an issue with the permalink structure used "/%category%/%postname%/" once i changed to '/%postname%/' in Settings->Permalinks. And the issue was solved.
Let me know if this format is a viable workaround for you.

Maybe this is a bug with WPML, i would like to make a Duplicator snapshot of your website to analyse this further. Would you be ok with that ?
Looking forward to you reply.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

March 22, 2019 at 12:31 pm #3440173

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

I have tested again with /%category%/%postname%/ base and it seems working.
You probably did not save the permalinks after switching to different languages in folders.

I guess the issue is resolved now. Let me know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,
Jamal

March 25, 2019 at 5:05 pm #3456583

bartU-2

Hi,

When I go to the frontend, it is still the same "500 internal server error".

Sometimes, when I disable all plugins, and re-enable them one by one in a certain order, the frontend does not throw an error. maybe this is what happened in your case, a "lucky shot that is temporary and very unstable, ready to crash every moment.

Please check

March 25, 2019 at 5:23 pm #3456773

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

I just checked again, indeed, i encountered a 500 error.
I only had to save permalinks again and the front was working fine.

I guess there is something that messes with the WordPress redirection rules. Or you may have updated something that updates the rules without saving permalinks. In fact saving permalinks is suggested for its ability to flush WordPress redirection rules.

We will need more informations on this to understand it.

Can you confirm you did not update anything in the WordPress dashboard from my last manipulation ?
If no, would you please remember what have you changed ? It is probably something that is related to redirection rules, or slugs or urls.

Best regards,
Jamal

March 26, 2019 at 8:53 am #3460449

bartU-2

Hi,

Can you please explain further what you mean with " save the permalinks after switching to different languages in folders." ?

Thank you for your efforts

March 26, 2019 at 12:21 pm #3462193

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Sure, i can explain. If you visit the WordPress admin dashboard, you can go to Settings->Permalinks, this screen is responsible of how WordPress handles the urls and the redirection, for example, in a clean install, you can visit the Hello World article by visiting example.com/?p=1 or example.com/hello-world
So when we change something related to url handling, we need to flush url rules by saving permalinks in Settings->Permalinks.
This manipulation is manual and has to be done only when needed. In your website example, i suspect there is something messing with the permalinks.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

March 27, 2019 at 8:52 am #3468773

bartU-2

Ok, so can you solve it then please ?

You can make a duplicate of the site.
You can even change whatever parameter or setting you want on the mentioned URL here, go ahead and experiment, be creative, you can't mess anything up !
I made a website clone on another server, so it doesn't matter what you change here.

We really need to be able to solve this.

When I google "WPML too many internal redirects", I get 25.600 results, so you will do the world a favor by solving this issue 🙂

March 28, 2019 at 9:52 am #3478931

Jamal
Supporter

Hi :),

I would love to help with this. But it seems that there are several issues related to this.

First there is a redirect from as example from hidden link to hidden link
I guess this is added by a security plugin. But this is not an issue. It is just a redirect that we should consider in our debugging.

Then, we got redirected to primary language homepage as Pages are set to be translatable and the home page and various pages are not translated yet. This is not happening for the shop page but the language switcher is not visible, i had to use the pages list and switch to german or english to visit the translated shop pages. For the language switcher i suspect menus are not synced across languages.

I created a local copy of your website, created a new user and added it as translation manager then translator in WPML->Translation Management->Translation Roles. Then translated english homepage and i was able to visit it. See attached image, note that url is using directories.

During all these tests i encountered one 500 error because i was trying to translate the homepage before being a translator. And i never get a too_many_redirects error.
Please tell how do you get the errors? I would like to test it my self.
What urls are you visiting that present this error ?
Can you provide detailed steps on how to reproduce it ? Example.
1. I go to xxx
2. I do xxx
3. I expect to have xxx
4. Instead i get xxx

Best regards,
Jamal

April 3, 2019 at 9:19 am #3523945

bartU-2

Hi,

There are many ways in which the error occurs, and not 1 cause or chain of causes specifically.
Mostly when disabling some plugins, and then enabling them again causes the 500 error, even the order sometimes makes a difference of enabling/disabling.

1/ So what is the root cause now please ?

2/ Are you saying that I, the admin, should make a "translator role" for me, and translate the homepage ? Then the bug should be fixed ?

best regards