This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am seeing some errors on my site after trying to update WPML.

Solution: Downloading fresh install of latest version resolved this issue.

This topic contains 36 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by julieK-5 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
September 26, 2019 at 4:15 pm #4648823

julieK-5

I am trying to:

I was doing a deploy of our staging site to our production site and our production site threw a 502 error while phpMyAdmin was stuck in "loading" whether I was trying to export or import. About two days ago I updated plugins on both staging and production so I do have my WPML plugins updated. I had to work with a technician to get our live site back up and he told me the wpml-string-translation plugin was throwing errors so he needed to disable it so the site would load.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link (it's working now with the plugin disabled)

I expected to see:

My site with the new pages we are adding.

Instead, I got:

502 bad gateway and an error log with a bunch of errors. I also see WPML errors in the staging site. I want to attach those errors but I want to do that securely. Both our staging and production sites are throwing WPML errors.

September 26, 2019 at 4:26 pm #4648875

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

You have opened a chat ticket and have been disconnected since then, so I converted it to a regular forum thread.

Please share with me the content of debug.log through a sharing service (DropBox, GDrive, pastebin). I will activate the private box to share the URL safely.

Best regards,
Jamal

September 26, 2019 at 6:06 pm #4649527

julieK-5

How do I make sure my pastebin is secure and not visible to other users in pastebin?

September 26, 2019 at 6:27 pm #4649653

julieK-5

I just discovered the WPML plugins on our live site isn't the same version as the staging site - and there are no updates for me to update live to be the same as staging. I guess I can download the staging WPML plugins and upload them to production.

Any idea why my staging got the push for WPML updates but production didn't?

September 26, 2019 at 7:52 pm #4650111

julieK-5

After uploading the WPML folders from our staging site my deploy of staging to live 502 again. We had to deactivate WPML String Translation plugin so the site would load.

September 26, 2019 at 9:16 pm #4650437

julieK-5

Can you please hand me off to someone in the same country as I? Currently I reside in America. That way I have someone available to respond at the same time as me. I'm assuming Jamal in Africa has gone home a long time ago.

September 27, 2019 at 2:06 pm #4654789

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Hi there, Jamal sent me this ticket since it seems we are in a closer time zone. Can you please share the information in the debug log? You can copy and paste the last bit of lines that are showing an error. You can either share a link for me to download, or paste it right into the next reply which I have marked as private.

Also, we push updates in batches which could explain why the staging site showed an update before the live site.

September 27, 2019 at 2:43 pm #4655267

julieK-5

Here are the errors from our production site.

First WPEngine ERROR LOGS:

[Thu Sep 26 14:55:02.065968 2019] [php7:notice] [pid 22951] [client 66.162.232.208:24020] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query \n\t\t\t\t\tSELECT DISTINCT \n\t\t\t\t\t\ts.id,\n\t\t\t\t\t\ts.name,\n\t\t\t\t\t\ts.context,\n\t\t\t\t\t\tst.status,\n\t\t\t\t\t\ts.gettext_context, \n\t\t\t\t\t\tst.value AS tra,\n\t\t\t\t\t\tst.mo_string AS mo_string,\n\t\t\t\t\t\ts.value AS orig\n\t\t\t\t\tFROM wp_icl_string_pages sp\n\t\t\t\t\tINNER JOIN wp_icl_string_urls su\n\t\t\t\t\t\tON su.id = sp.url_id\n\t\t\t\t\tINNER JOIN wp_icl_strings s\n\t\t\t\t\t\tON s.id = sp.string_id\n\t\t\t\t\tLEFT JOIN wp_icl_string_translations st\n\t\t\t\t\t\tON s.id=st.string_id\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\tAND st.language=su.language\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\tAND s.language!=su.language\n\t\t\t\t\tWHERE (su.language='en' and su.url='/') or (su.language='en' and su.url IS NULL)\n\t\t\t\t\t /* From [www.rimage.com/] in [/nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/persist/class-wpml-st-page-translations-persist.php:47] */ made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('plugins_loaded'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, wpseo_init, WPSEO_Meta::init, WPSEO_Options::get, WPSEO_Options::get_all, WPSEO_Options::get_options, WPSEO_Options::get_option, get_option, apply_filters('option_wpseo_titles'), WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WPML_Admin_Texts->icl_st_translate_admin_string, WPML_Admin_Texts->icl_st_translate_admin_string, icl_t, icl_translate, WPML_Register_String_Filter->translate_by_name_and_context, WPML_Displayed_String_Filter->get_translation, WPML_ST_DB_Cache->get_translation, WPML_ST_Page_Translations_Cached_Persist->get_translations_for_page, WPML_ST_Page_Translations_Persist->get_translations_for_page
[Thu Sep 26 14:55:02.209499 2019] [php7:error] [pid 22951] [client 66.162.232.208:24020] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught InvalidArgumentException: String id cannot be empty in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php:103\nStack trace:\n#0 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php(44): WPML_ST_Page_Translation->validate_values('0', '[wpseo_titles]t...', 'admin_texts_wps...')\n#1 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-db-translation-retrieve.php(160): WPML_ST_Page_Translation->__construct('0', '[wpseo_titles]t...', 'admin_texts_wps...', '%%sitename%% %%...', false, '')\n#2 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-db-translation-retrieve.php(139): WPML_ST_DB_Translation_Retrieve->build_translation(Array, '[wpseo_titles]t...', 'admin_texts_wps...', '')\n#3 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/cla in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php on line 103

[Thu Sep 26 19:05:11.789533 2019] [php7:error] [pid 3963] [client 35.237.51.87:36864] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'ComposerAutoloaderInit46ed5a3089dba7505d4541a2e6e9408a' not found in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/autoload.php:7\nStack trace:\n#0 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/sitepress.php(56): require_once()\n#1 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-settings.php(310): include_once('/nas/content/li...')\n#2 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-config.php(139): require_once('/nas/content/li...')\n#3 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-load.php(37): require_once('/nas/content/li...')\n#4 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-blog-header.php(13): require_once('/nas/content/li...')\n#5 /nas/content/live/rimage/index.php(17): require('/nas/content/li...')\n#6 {main}\n thrown in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/autoload.php on line 7

[Thu Sep 26 19:10:30.892702 2019] [php7:error] [pid 22843] [client 35.160.242.12:49298] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function icl_t() in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms-multilingual/inc/gravity-forms-multilingual.class.php:778\nStack trace:\n#0 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms-multilingual/inc/gravity-forms-multilingual.class.php(663): Gravity_Forms_Multilingual->get_global_strings(Array, 'gravity_form-6')\n#1 [internal function]: Gravity_Forms_Multilingual->gform_pre_render(Array, true)\n#2 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(288): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#3 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/plugin.php(208): WP_Hook->apply_filters(Array, Array)\n#4 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/gravityforms.php(5773): apply_filters('gform_pre_rende...', Array, true, Array, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL)\n#5 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/form_display.php(833): gf_apply_filters('gform_pre_rende...', Array, true, Array)\n#6 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugin in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms-multilingual/inc/gravity-forms-multilingual.class.php on line 778
[Thu Sep 26 19:10:47.819232 2019] [php7:error] [pid 23467] [client 104.200.152.54:49884] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'GFML_Hooks' not found in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms-multilingual/plugin.php:41\nStack trace:\n#0 [internal function]: load_gfml('')\n#1 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): call_user_func_array('load_gfml', Array)\n#2 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)\n#3 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/plugin.php(465): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)\n#4 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms-multilingual/classes/class-wpml-gfml-requirements.php(49): do_action('wpml_gfml_has_r...')\n#5 [internal function]: WPML_GFML_Requirements->plugins_loaded_action('')\n#6 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#7 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)\n#8 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/plugin.php(465): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)\n#9 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-settings.php(394) in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms-multilingual/plugin.php on line 41

NEXT DEBUG.LOG downloaded from the server:

[26-Sep-2019 19:46:35 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught InvalidArgumentException: String id cannot be empty in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php:103
Stack trace:
#0 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php(44): WPML_ST_Page_Translation->validate_values('0', '[wpseo_titles]t...', 'admin_texts_wps...')
#1 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-db-translation-retrieve.php(170): WPML_ST_Page_Translation->__construct('0', '[wpseo_titles]t...', 'admin_texts_wps...', '%%sitename%% %%...', false, '')
#2 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-db-translation-retrieve.php(149): WPML_ST_DB_Translation_Retrieve->build_translation(Array, '[wpseo_titles]t...', 'admin_texts_wps...', '')
#3 /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/cla in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/class-wpml-st-page-translation.php on line 103
[26-Sep-2019 19:48:02 UTC] PHP Warning: mysqli_query(): MySQL server has gone away in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 2007
[26-Sep-2019 19:48:02 UTC] PHP Warning: mysqli_query(): Error reading result set's header in /nas/content/live/rimage/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 2007

[26-Sep-2019 19:49:02 UTC] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query
SELECT DISTINCT
s.id,
s.name,
s.context,
st.status,
s.gettext_context,
st.value AS tra,
st.mo_string AS mo_string,
s.value AS orig
FROM wp_icl_string_pages sp
INNER JOIN wp_icl_string_urls su
ON su.id = sp.url_id
INNER JOIN wp_icl_strings s
ON s.id = sp.string_id
LEFT JOIN wp_icl_string_translations st
ON s.id=st.string_id
AND st.language=su.language
AND s.language!=su.language
WHERE (su.language='en' and su.url='/')
/* From [www.rimage.com/] in [/nas/content/live/rimage/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/filters/db-cache/persist/class-wpml-st-page-translations-persist.php:77] */ made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('plugins_loaded'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, wpseo_init, WPSEO_Meta::init, WPSEO_Options::get, WPSEO_Options::get_all, WPSEO_Options::get_options, WPSEO_Options::get_option, get_option, apply_filters('option_wpseo_titles'), WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WPML_Admin_Texts->icl_st_translate_admin_string, WPML_Admin_Texts->icl_st_translate_admin_string, icl_t, icl_translate, WPML_Register_String_Filter->translate_by_name_and_context, WPML_Displayed_String_Filter->get_translation, WPML_ST_DB_Cache->get_translation, WPML_ST_Page_Translations_Cached_Persist->get_translations_for_page, WPML_ST_Page_Translations_Persist->get_translations_for_page

I would like to send you the information from the staging site so you can compare. Can you send another Private reply so I can put the staging site WPML errors so we don't get them mixed up with the production site errors. Thanks for the help. Thank Jamal for trying to help. I did know he was in a vastly different timezone. Hopefully you and I can can spend the day working on/solving this. It's my top priority.

September 27, 2019 at 4:34 pm #4655959

Lauren
Supporter

Sure, you can send the error in the next reply, which is marked as private.

In regards to this error, it is coming from the ST database cache. Are you able to access the backend of the site with String Translation active? If not, you can rename the string translation plugin and then access the backend. In the Dashboard, go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting. Look for an option to clear the string translation cache. Also, run through the steps in the cleanup section. Be sure to do this only after creating a full backup of your site.

In the event that does not resolve it, please deactivate and delete existing WPML plugins. This will not delete your translations. Then, go to http://www.wpml.org/account/downloads and select "beta" from the drop down. Download beta versions of core, String Translation and Translation Management and install these (install Core first). If the error still appears, go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting and click "cleanup and optimize string tables".

Please let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

September 27, 2019 at 5:33 pm #4656147

julieK-5

Here is a small sampling of the errors I see in the staging debug log:

[05-Sep-2019 14:23:48 UTC] WordPress database error Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction for query DELETE FROM `wp_options` WHERE `option_name` = 'wpml.WPML_ST_DB_Cache.lock' /* From [rimagestaging.wpengine.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php] in [/nas/content/live/rimagestaging/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/utilities/lock/class-wpml-lock.php:71] */ made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WpeCommon->wp_hook_init, WpeCommon->upload_space_load, get_transient, delete_option

[05-Sep-2019 17:22:41 UTC] WordPress database error Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction for query DELETE FROM `wp_options` WHERE `option_name` = '_transient_dirsize_cache' /* From [rimagestaging.wpengine.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php] in [/nas/content/live/rimagestaging/wp-settings.php:525] */ made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WpeCommon->wp_hook_init, WpeCommon->upload_space_load, get_transient, delete_option

[12-Sep-2019 15:14:57 UTC] WordPress database error Unknown column 'wrap_tag' in 'field list' for query DELETE FROM `wp_options` WHERE `option_name` = 'wpml.WPML_ST_DB_Cache.lock' /* From [rimagestaging.wpengine.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=gf_edit_forms&id=22] in [/nas/content/live/rimagestaging/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/utilities/lock/class-wpml-lock.php:71] */ made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('plugins_loaded'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WPML_GFML_Requirements->plugins_loaded_action, do_action('wpml_gfml_has_requirements'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, load_gfml, GFML_TM_API->__construct, Gravity_Forms_Multilingual->__construct, do_action('wpml_show_package_language_admin_bar'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WPML_Package_Translation->show_admin_bar_language_selector, WPML_Package_Admin_Lang_Switcher->__construct, WPML_Package->__construct, WPML_Package->init_from_array, WPML_Package->set_package_post_data, WPML_Package->update_strings_data, WPML_Package->get_package_strings
[12-Sep-2019 15:15:25 UTC] WordPress database error Unknown column 'wrap_tag' in 'field list' for query
SELECT id, name, value, wrap_tag, type, title
FROM wp_icl_strings
WHERE string_package_id=3
ORDER BY location, id ASC /* From [rimagestaging.wpengine.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=gf_edit_forms&id=3] in [/nas/content/live/rimagestaging/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/inc/package-translation/inc/wpml-package.class.php:161] */ made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('plugins_loaded'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WPML_GFML_Requirements->plugins_loaded_action, do_action('wpml_gfml_has_requirements'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, load_gfml, GFML_TM_API->__construct, Gravity_Forms_Multilingual->__construct, do_action('wpml_show_package_language_admin_bar'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, WPML_Package_Translation->show_admin_bar_language_selector, WPML_Package_Admin_Lang_Switcher->__construct, WPML_Package->__construct, WPML_Package->init_from_array, WPML_Package->set_package_post_data, WPML_Package->update_strings_data, WPML_Package->get_package_strings

September 27, 2019 at 5:36 pm #4656243

Lauren
Supporter

The errors on both sites are related to string cache. Please follow the same steps I mention previously on the staging site and let me know if either is resolved. Thanks!

September 27, 2019 at 6:48 pm #4656405

julieK-5

I just finished with idea #1. With the plugin turned off I cleared the WPML cache. With the plugin back on the site loads - but very slowly and I can't clear the WPML cache I get a "The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions." from the WP admin when I try to get there. Should I disable the plugin, rename it and turn it back on and then try clearing the WPML cache?

September 27, 2019 at 7:24 pm #4656493

julieK-5

I working on step #2 - disabling and deleting WPML plugins form our staging site and installing the beta WPML plugin folders in the order you specified. Does doing this mean I need to reconfigure the WPML settings?

September 27, 2019 at 8:30 pm #4656649

Lauren
Supporter

You should not need to reconfigure the settings. once the beta plugins are installed, please go to the troubleshooting page and click "cleanup and optimize string tables".

September 27, 2019 at 8:45 pm #4656749

julieK-5

Does "Cleanup and optimize string tables" supposed to give me a message that it's done or something? Does it take a while?