This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
May 2, 2019 at 12:51 pm #3724639

barbaraZ-4

The original theme wordpress is in English, but was partially translated together with the administration panel using the Loco plugin. At the moment both the panel and the motif contain Polish and English. Which language of content should you choose? Is there a possibility before configuring wpml to translate the theme and panel into the selected language and then adding a multi-lingual option?
In the theme and administrative panel I would like to set the Polish language (in its entirety) and then add the possibility of translating to other languages

May 2, 2019 at 4:47 pm #3727183

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I am not sure that I fully understand what you want to accomplish so can you please elaborate a bit more on what you want to do and what is not working?

I will also mention a few things below that are important for this situation.

First of all, it is not recommended to use multiple multilingual plugins on the same WordPress site so using Loco Translate and WPML at the same time might cause compatibility issues.

The normal process is this: when you first set up WPML, you will be asked to choose the main/default language of the site. After that, you can select secondary languages that you want to translate the site content into.

After the setup, you should be able to translate specific parts of the content on the site.

If you can explain a bit more what you are trying to accomplish, I will be able to give you more targeted help 🙂

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

May 2, 2019 at 5:33 pm #3727757

barbaraZ-4

in short it looks like this
I had the Loco plugin installed, partially translated the theme and administration panel from English to Polish, I uninstalled some time ago, but this part of the translation was left. Today I have installed the WPML package and in order to configure it, I have to choose the current language of the site. If you choose English, it will not be a problem with translation? Is it possible to first translate the wordpress theme into Polish and then configure and use the multilanguage function? I would like to edit the page in Polish and only later add a multi-language package

May 3, 2019 at 11:06 am #3733575

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the extra information.

I didn't spend too much working with Loco Translate in the past so I would not know exactly what would be the behavior, neither how the plugin is saving/storing the translations or how it reacts when the plugin is uninstalled/deactivated and reinstalled/reactivated.

However, my suggestion is to first create a full backup of the current website so that you can have that in case something goes wrong and then set up WPML with the default language to be English.

Going forward, I recommend that you use only WPML to translate content parts and that should be fine.

Please let me know how that goes and if it worked for you.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week if you will answer me this weekend.

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 7, 2019 at 9:43 pm #3762303

barbaraZ-4

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
For now, I have set the default language to English, because with the default Polish part of the elements is not displayed on the page.
Most of the plugins, the page and the administrative panel have been automatically translated, some (using the option of translating taxonomies and expressions) I introduced "by hand".
And here I have a problem with the dashboard, in the panel after translating and changing the version of the language to en in the top pane, two items ("realities" and "real estate") remain in English. Similarly with some menu items, for example
"services" (en) - "all services" (en) and "add service" (en), or
Properties (en) - most of the checkboxes (en), the last two (en)
When trying to synchronize the "primary" menu with some options, a backlight appears informing you that "the item has changed position", what could be the reason?
Sorry for my english. If you cant understand something, let me know .)

May 8, 2019 at 2:06 pm #3767515

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I am very happy to hear that we are making progress! 🙂

Unfortunately, I am not able to understand very well if the initial issue has been solved or not.

The policy that we have in place requires us to work only on one issue per ticket. Continuing with one issue per ticket helps not only supporters to focus on one issue at once, but also enables other users to find solutions to their questions faster.

So if that is the case, I will need you to please open new tickets for each issue (its seems that the second one you mentioned with the menu is a completely new one, unrelated to the current ticket but I might be wrong, that is why I am asking).

I am also not sure that I understand what you mean here: "And here I have a problem with the dashboard, in the panel after translating and changing the version of the language to en in the top pane, two items ("realities" and "real estate") remain in English. Similarly with some menu items, for example
"services" (en) - "all services" (en) and "add service" (en), or
Properties (en) - most of the checkboxes (en), the last two (en)"

The WordPress panel should be translated automatically.

Can you please elaborate a bit more what you mean?

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 8, 2019 at 6:44 pm #3770079

barbaraZ-4

Hello,
a mistake has happend, it was supposed to be
"services"(en) - "all services"(pl) and "add service"(en), or
"Properties"(en) - most of checkboxes(en), the last two(pl)
I could say, than the first problem is finished. I have selected English as default language for the theme, I changed phrases translated before, from Polish to English, and I used wpml to translate.

The administration panel has been translated automatically.
But some elements from menu(main and sub) contained untranslated concepts. With help of manually translating expressions, that problem has been solved.

There is still a problem with synchronization of theme menu, if I don't find a solution i will use a new ticket.

Thank you for help,
Best regards

May 10, 2019 at 8:45 am #3782351

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I am very happy to hear that the initial issue has been solved.

Yes, for any other issue, I would need you to please create a new ticket for explaining the issue as best as you can.

The more info you add into the ticket (like screenshots, screen recordings etc.), the better and easier is for us, supporters to understand what you are experiencing.

Kind regards,
Mihai