This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ghledisC 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 8, 2019 at 9:30 am #4160533

ghledisC

I am trying to find a simpler way of translating our website.

Specifically I would like to avoid translating Advanced Custom Field labels, Taxonomies and other texts that are not single posts through the WordPress interface and be able to upload a single file so that all translations are done with one single upload.

This would mean a file with translations for

Advanced Custom Field field labels and field dropdown/checkbox etc. choices
Elementor pages and widgets
Taxonomies
Menus
Links
Contact form 7 forms

I know it is quite complex, but is it possible? Is there a tutorial I could follow for a complete translation?

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I have been following tutorials for the translation of every single element. I have to be honest here, I found using WPML extremely complex. I managed to translate the site into 2 languages already, so I did manage, however I am trying to create an abstraction layer between the complexity and many many steps of finding all the things to be translated and an in-house translator for example. My original plan was to tutor people so that they can do it themselves, but I gave up on that – it is just too complex a task to make sure everything we need is translated. And there are still several languages that we want to get the site translated in.

Right now I have created a document file with a table, left side - original language, right side translation. I am 95% sure it is complete with all texts needing translation, but I would like a way to simply upload the file (in maybe another structured format). Because right now I spend days copy pasting the translations through the user interface.

I didn't manage to understand if string translations would be capable of this or not. As I have been experimenting with locally registered fields in acf where I used __('string','domain') to get translatable strings, and then removed the locally registered fields and I am not sure if the remains of that registration are still to be found in the string translations, and so I don't know if the strings in there correspond to actual acf field labels.

What is the link to your site?

hidden link

July 8, 2019 at 4:20 pm #4164321

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

The elements that you have listed are mostly in the String Tranlsation table. However, not all of them are (e.g. Taxonomies).

The only file interface that we can offer for offline translations would be XLIFF.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-desktop-cat-tools/configuring-xliff-file-options/

It´s not exactly what you were looking for but it seems to be the closest thing to a "file" interface to upload translations.

I can appreciate the desire for a single "panel" to translate everything - but the Translation Management Dashboard is all we can offer on that respect.

July 9, 2019 at 11:11 am #4170001

ghledisC

I am completely willing to take a partial solution too as long as I can simplify the translation process. The string translation sounds interesting, but I only found a tutorial to translate ACF field labels and choices that utilizes the admin interface. How can I accomplish it through string translations?

July 9, 2019 at 1:32 pm #4171241

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Maybe you need to tell me more about your installation:
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

I am honestly not 100% certain that all contents of the String Tranlsation table are able to be dumped into an XLIFF format. I´d have to check with our 2nd tier support about that. For example, the theme options and admin texts may not be able to be translated via XLIFF.

In general, however, I just don´t think we have the solution you are looking for. What I can offer is that you write here to suggest the need for a simplified way of doing "bulk" kinds of translations.

https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Thanks

July 16, 2019 at 2:02 pm #4220813

ghledisC

Thank you!