Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
December 14, 2020 at 4:37 pm #7662417

Martin Mart

Hi,

Have this portfolio entries on my site:
hidden link

I used ACF to make it easy to add new content, but the translation does not work.
I have no clue how to manage this. I'm lost.

Please help.

Thank you very much.

December 16, 2020 at 4:01 pm #7679073

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

Ok, there are a few things we need to make sure to meet:

1) Let's start by meeting WPML's minimum requirements:

Please add the following code in your wp-config.php file, right after the database information lines of code:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

1.1) Do a complete backup fo your site.

2) Please go to custom fields > All field groups and delete all the field groups from the translated languages (permanently)

3) Go to WPML > Settings > Post Type translation > Set "field groups" to "not translatable"

4) Now configure the translation preference of each field by editing the field groups.

As a rule of thumb, all structure fields (like repeaters, tabs, flexible content, etc) shoudl be set to copy and the content inside it could be set to translate if needed (translate = you need different values accross the languages. copy= you want to have the same values in the translations)

You can refer to this guide to know if you have configured everything correctly: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Then, when all that is done, make a small change to the page (using a native WordPress field like adding a character to the title) and then translate the page again.

Try it out and let me know how it goes.

The topic ‘[Closed] A smart way to translate portfolio entries with ACF and Co’ is closed to new replies.