This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
June 13, 2019 at 9:37 am #4011239

David Henry

I have a dual language (GA/EN), the news content is only in Irish (GA) however we'd like this to display on the English (EN) home page.

I'm looking for a plugin/Widget to do this, currently I'm using Widgetkit however it doesn't have this feature.

hidden link
hidden link

June 13, 2019 at 10:35 am #4011987

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

First, you will need to set posts as translatable with fallback to original in WPML->Settings->Post types Translation, as shown in the attached image. According to your debug information, the setting is already set.

You can then use the Gutenberg block of "latest posts", that's what I used for my test server, you can log in using the following URL:
hidden link

As you can see in the French page, the English blog post is shown, even if it is not translated.
hidden link

As you are using the Classic Editor and not Gutenberg, I can suggest using the "Latest Post Shortcode" plugin. But I did not test it.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/latest-post-shortcode/

You can use my test server to check that and let me know what you get.

Another option would be to use WPML duplication as described in the following article. But you will always need to duplicate the latest posts before they can show up on the secondary language.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

June 13, 2019 at 11:26 am #4012325

David Henry

Hi Jamal,

If I understand you correctly, the setting for posts fallback should work on all widgets, would that be about right?

Also, I've tried the settings as you've described however I on french I see all 3 posts EN and FR, but on English I only see 2 both EN. Am I missing something?

David

June 13, 2019 at 3:47 pm #4015115

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hi David,

If I understand you correctly, the setting for posts fallback should work on all widgets, would that be about right?
Right, but this will basically depend on the implementation of the widget/shortcode.

Also, I've tried the settings as you've described however I on french I see all 3 posts EN and FR, but on English I only see 2 both EN. Am I missing something?

When you say French, do you mean Irish?
However, I think that the settings to fallback to the original will only work in one direction.

To answer this question well, I think I'll need more information, Could you please elaborate a little more? Sometimes screenshots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

Best regards,
Jamal

The topic ‘[Closed] A widget to display posts in all languages?’ is closed to new replies.