This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
August 28, 2019 at 8:09 am #4471761

raymondL-8

I am trying to set the user profile's language preference based on the language of their registration page. And the default language I am currently setting it to Traditional Chinese(zh-hant). And also I have just updated the wpml and i wonder whether user's language redirect based on detection of the user's device still in effect. Before i used it but i notice a significant slowness in the site performance.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:the actual name of the language

Instead, I got:i got the "Site Default Language"

August 28, 2019 at 8:22 am #4471933

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

WPML does not provide you a feature to redirect your users depending on your registration page. However, it does provide you a redirection tool based on the user's browser language. This feature is available at WPML > Languages > Browser language redirect.

Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

Best regards,
Andrés

August 28, 2019 at 11:38 am #4473983

raymondL-8

Thx! Is the customer's language preference being set based on the language interface that they are registering and purchasing? When the user profile's language said "Site Default", is that mean it is the default language set of the website? Then it might not be the language of the user's purchasing interface.

August 28, 2019 at 12:09 pm #4474127

Andrés
Supporter

I think there is a little misunderstanding. Our "Browser language redirect" works based on the Browser.

Let's say that the user has configured Chrome or Firefox in French. If your site has been translated into french, the first time the user visit your site, he will be redirected to the french version.

Regards

August 28, 2019 at 12:31 pm #4474253

raymondL-8

Ok so my original question is that i know on wordpress's user profile, there is a dropdown called "Language" which captures the language of the user. How is this dropdown being determined? I notfice some of them saying "Site default". Is that mean the default language on the wpml setup? How can i make this dropdown selection based on the language interface when customer register or purchase item?

August 28, 2019 at 1:24 pm #4474603

Andrés
Supporter

Ok so my original question is that i know on wordpress's user profile, there is a dropdown called "Language" which captures the language of the user. How is this dropdown being determined?

This is a WordPress default feature, every user has the possibility to determine the backend language according to that dropdown.

I notfice some of them saying "Site default". Is that mean the default language on the wpml setup?

Correct.

How can i make this dropdown selection based on the language interface when customer register or purchase item?

As I mentioned before, WPML does not provide you that functionality. You can create some custom code and arrange it according to your project needs. This link may be useful.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-coding-api/wpml-hooks-reference/

I hope it helps.