We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by yusongY-2 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 17, 2019 at 10:44 pm

yusongY-2

I am trying to: edit a duplicate product on another language. I am following these steps

Step 1) select the product you want to edit and select the plus icon next to translate: hidden link

Step 2) the page will refresh and bring you to the chinese language. The next step is to select: "Overwrite with English content" hidden link This will display a popup message confirming that this is what you want to do. Select ok hidden link

Step 3) With this, all ACF fields and information will be brought over from the parent: hidden link

Step 4) Select update: hidden link

==================================================
To not copy and sync the ACF field and to add them in independently please follow this guide:

Step 1) go to the product you would like to translate: hidden link

Step 2) Click on the plus icon to translate the product from engligh to chinese: hidden link

Step 3) when the page refreshes, please click on the "copy content from english" button: hidden link by selecting this button it means that the product will not be synced from the english side. meaning any english changes, they will not reflect on the chinese product

Step 4) Please add the acf fields you would like with the chinese content

Step 5) Save by hitting publish hidden link

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
english: hidden link
chinese: hidden link

The issue is when we try to alter the ACF fields to include chinese language, and other items. the product breaks the sync ( which we want); but then the ACF content that has been altered does not change and save. This message also displays on the product page: "Field's value in original language"

July 18, 2019 at 8:17 am #4235955

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

but then the ACF content that has been altered does not change and save.

I have checked this and I can see this will. I'm not sure whether this is ACF setting or a bug. Therefore, may I ask you to try to reproduce the issue here? Make sure you don't translate Field Groups ( this is usually not needed).
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-field-groups

Login: hidden link
Username: demo
Password: 0pMGt74fLaK3

The above site is a clean WordPress installation. I have installed WooCommerce, WPML, ACF and configured everything. Can I only ask you to try to emulate the same behavior here and provide me with the exact steps what you did for one product only? I believe I have an idea, but I'd like to bring this to our developers for further inspections. We need to know the exact steps since from what I see you first created translation, then a duplicate, then the independent translation again, correct?

Please create a simple custom field group with a similar or same type of elements it is on your site, along with translation preferences being the same.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 18, 2019 at 2:50 pm #4239779

yusongY-2

Hello Bruno,

Here are the steps that were done in order to try to duplicate our issue on your test site. I also included screenshots to help aid with visualizing what was done.

Steps on sandbox site:

To replicate our issue I had to create the custom fields that you would have seen on our site: hidden link

Products:
Step 1)
created a new product and created the custom fields that would show on the product page: hidden link

step 2)
saved the product

Step 3)
selected the plus icon to translate this to Chinese: hidden link

Step 4)
the page refreshes and I am on the Chinese side. I then select the "Copy content from English" button" hidden link

Step 5)
content is copied over, but the ACF fields were not: hidden link

Step 6)
Saved my edits and now I see this: hidden link

step 7)
I then try to add and edit the ACF field to add my chinese translation: hidden link

Step 8)
Select the update button to save the product

Step 9)
On your site it saves the edits: hidden link

On our site it does not save the edits: hidden link as well as does not show on the Chinese front end: hidden link
only shows on the English side: hidden link

July 19, 2019 at 5:11 am #4243999

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for going through a very detailed review!

Can I ask if you see any differences between my sandbox and your site? The only thing I see so far is the following:
- I don't have any caching or security plugins on this sandbox
- the field groups on my site are not set to translatable
- we are using default WordPress theme
- repeater field "product information" - the main one is set to "Don't translate" (it could be that?)
- The other repeater element is also set to "don't translate" - (the subfield specifications)

From what I see, you set all the fields to "don't translate", meaning that there will be no synchronization at all between custom fields on translations. Maybe that is the key? On your site I see them to be set as "translate", so WPML is possibly trying to synchronize the amount of ACF fields in both, thus not allowing you to save new fields on translation.

Can you perhaps try to emulate this setup on your end as well?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 2, 2019 at 2:20 pm #4330797

yusongY-2

Hello, Sorry for the delay in response. We have double checked the fields on our end and they are set to translate. The main issue is that I am unable to add new pdf's to the fields. When I try to, the product does not save the changes and constantly says "field's value in original Language"