Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I want to create a Dynamic gallery with ACF and Elementor but the images are only appearing in one language and not in its translations

Solution: If set your portfolio items [ Portfolio (ocean_portfolio) ] : "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" in WPML > Settings > Post Type Translations, after you set your item to "duplicate" which is not necessary. you would just need to delete said duplicate and follow the link below.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/acf-elementor-wpml-compatibility-problem-with-dynamic-image-gallery

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by ivanB-15 2 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
April 1, 2019 at 9:31 pm

ivanB-15

Hello,

I am using Elementor, ACF and WPML with Ocean WP.  I would like to create an image gallery with dynamic content in two languages.
The problem is that the pictures are only shown in one language and the gallery is empty in the second language.

You have already helped me to solve this problem here in the forum: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/acf-elementor-wpml-compatibility-problem-with-dynamic-image-gallery
But this time, none of this works. I tried this process several times, but unfortunately nothing helped.

Thank you
Ivan

3056779-wpml_acf_elementor_02.jpg
3056779-wpml_acf_elementor_01.jpg
April 2, 2019 at 9:11 am #3515049

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and welcome back!

I am sorry to hear that you have troubles with this again.

From what I can see, this time you are using a different link/domain.

Can you please let me know what is the gallery link I should look at?

I tried this:

hidden link (default language)
hidden link (English gallery)

Am I looking at the right gallery?

If this is the gallery, can I have your written approval to duplicate this site on a testing environment?

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

April 2, 2019 at 9:43 am #3515515

ivanB-15

Hi Mihai,

thank you for quick response!

This is the gallery that doesn’t work in English: hidden link (you have to be logged in wp admin otherwise the "coming soon" page would make wrong layout)
This gallery is for "earrings", but its problem with the rest of menu items as well, like: "necklaces", "rings", "bracelets"...

Of course you can duplicate this site.

It is a different domain, but content is identical (development stage)

Thank you
Ivan

April 3, 2019 at 1:54 pm #3526741

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the explanation!

There are multiple updates that we just launched.

Can you please create a backup of your current site, update the plugins and then try to see if the issue is still happening?

Kind regards,
Mihai

Screenshot 2019-04-03 at 16.52.45.png
April 3, 2019 at 2:54 pm #3527607

ivanB-15

Hi Mihai,
Unfortunately the problem still persists.
I tried to repeat all the steps, but the images are still not loading in the English version.
I tried it again in: hidden link and hidden link.
Thank you for your help!
Ivan

April 3, 2019 at 4:59 pm #3529095

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Thank you for the confirmation.

I will spend some time on this and I will get back to you as soon as I have any more feedback.

I will leave the ticket assigned to me for the moment.

Kind regards,
Mihai

April 5, 2019 at 3:36 pm #3545365

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Ivan.

Unfortunately, after spending a good amount of time on the site, I was not able to solve the issue.

1. Can you please let me know the exact process that you are following on this website when you create the initial (default-language) gallery and how do you proceed in translating it?

2. Also, I would want to know how do you make it show up in the submenu?

3. Also, can you please let me know what are the plugins that you need into creating the portfolio and the custom fields so that I can run a test without any additional plugins? From what I can see, you are using Elementor, ACF, but is the "portfolio" custom post type functionality coming from a plugin you installed or from the theme you are using?

Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai

April 5, 2019 at 4:05 pm #3545647

ivanB-15

Hi Mihai,
I really appreciate your time and your efforts. I quite understand, because I spent too much time with this problem too ...
I will try to describe the whole process. So far, I would just mention that the custom post type "portfolio" is created using OceanWP theme and the gallery is created by using the OceanWP widget in Elementor.
Have a nice weekend
Ivan

April 8, 2019 at 10:50 am #3556815

ivanB-15

Hello Mihai / Alejandro,

I found a copy in which everything worked as it should. Website copy is uploaded to this domain: strunalshop.com.
The English version of the portfolio is made here according to the instructions you sent me in the forum (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/acf-elementor-wpml-compatibility-problem-with-dynamic-image-gallery).
I don't understand what might have happened that the same content on ivanbarta.website stopped working in English version
Theoretically, I could ad new content to this copy and problem would be solved. I wouldn't mind the fact that it is extra work, but now I'm afraid that the problem can appear again and now I would be really interested in what the problem is.

(I would like to sent admin details, but I dont know how to sent private massage)

Thank you
Ivan

April 8, 2019 at 3:57 pm #3559949

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello, my name is Alejandro,

Since Mihai is currently not available, I will replace him here in the forum.

I hope this is OK with you.

The problem in here is that you set your portfolio items [ Portfolio (ocean_portfolio) ] set as: "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" in WPML > Settings > Post Type Translations after you set your item to "duplicate" (which is how it was set when i checked it) which is not necessary. so as soon as you delete the translation, you'll see that everything will be fixed (i already did that for you).

Regards.

April 8, 2019 at 6:43 pm #3560765

ivanB-15

Hi Alejandro,

Thank you very much for your help!
It would be a great solution. There's only one problem. Since portfolio item is a menu item, this item has now disappeared from the English menu. Unfortunately I have no idea how to solve this.
Do you have any idea?

Thank you
Ivan

wpml_gallery_eng.jpg
wpml_gallery_cz.jpg
April 9, 2019 at 6:34 am #3563271

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

In this case, since you chose to have the default language as a fallback when there aren't translations it will not appear in the menus because it doesn't have a translation.

You have 2 options here:

1) Create a custom link with the page you want to send the user to

2) go to the portfolio item and scroll down the page until you find a section called "multilingual content setup" , you'll see 3 options with one selected "Make 'Portfolio' appear as translated"
You could change it to "Make 'Portfolio' translatable" and duplicate the page afterwards.

The only bad thing about this second option is that if you don't duplicate the page, you will not have it shown automatically as translated (in short, you'll have to duplicate it for the desired translated language to be able to see it there)

Let me know what you chose and if one of these options worked for you.

Regards.

April 9, 2019 at 8:24 am #3564167

ivanB-15

Hi Alejandro,

The first option is the perfect solution. Actually I had the same idea with "custom links" this morning when I walked the dog 🙂
I tried the second option in speed, but for some reason it didn't work very well. But that doesn't matter because the first option works.
Thank you very much for your help!
WPML plugin is very good, but very complex as well.

Best wishes
Ivan