This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

How to exclude certain custom fields from translation.

Solution:

find the custom fields at WPML > Settings > Custom Fields Translation section and set it 'Don't translate'

Relevant Documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by steffenW-9 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Dennis.

Author Posts
July 2, 2019 at 12:30 am #4122555

steffenW-9

I am trying to:

Translate my page that heavily depends on acf (advanced custom fields).
I create a page, add a repeater module and click save.
Then I create a translation of that page.

In the advanced editor I see the side to side comparison of each string.
Unfortunately there are a lot of strings inside which contain system variables (like s-section-0) and so on. If they are translated, the site gets broken.

I only need to translate a few (only those free text strings inside the repeater fields).

I want to generally exclude those acf fields from the advanced translation editor.

In the settings I did not find those values to be excluded.

Has anybody a solution to this problem?

July 2, 2019 at 4:26 am #4123891

Dennis
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Manila (GMT+08:00)

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

Could you please confirm if you still can't find the custom fields at WPML > Settings > Custom Fields Translation section and click Show system fields?

If not, could you please check if you can't still find those custom fields in WPML > Settings when:

- All non WPML Plugins are disabled except the plugins required to debug. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with other plugin.
- Theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty Sixteen. Its will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
- If the problem disappears, start activating one at the time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

Note: Please backup your site completely before doing this test.

Please let me know your results.

Kind regards,
Dennis

July 3, 2019 at 1:18 pm #4136785

steffenW-9

My issue is resolved now (the fields were hidden under system fields). Thank you.