Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nicolas Viallet 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nicolas Viallet.

Author Posts
September 28, 2022 at 9:30 pm #12144571

marcS-48

I created the page hidden link in English. I then clicked the + sign in the Language dialog box next to "Read in Spanish," which brought up the Translation page. I translated the fields, and clicked Complete. When I view the page in Engish, it looks fine, but when I click on the "Leer en español" link on that page, the Spanish version of the page, hidden link, is blank.

The site is password protected, and I've created an admin user for you. Let me know the best way to get that information to you privately.

This is a staging site, so feel free to make any changes you want.

Thanks!

October 1, 2022 at 8:54 pm #12161929

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. My name is Nicolas and I will be happy to help you today.

Let's start by meeting WPML's minimum requirements. I've noticed your website has a low PHP memory allocation (40M). The minimum requirements for WPML is 128M but we recommend 256M:

Access your server via FTP and open wp-config.php (in your WordPress root directory).

Insert those lines just before /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

/* Memory Limit */
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

More info: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

---

I activated a private field for your next answer where you can provide that information safely (this field is only visible by you and the support team) that way I can have a look at your frontend and backend.

IMPORTANT: Before we proceed, please backup your site and database.

Nico

October 4, 2022 at 12:03 pm #12176861

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank for providing access to your site. I found what was the issue.
First, the translation of the ACF fields was missing, I simply resaved the original page and re-saved the translation and they are now showing. If you have other translation in that situation, you might need to make a small edit to the original (like adding a space at the end of a paragraph) to push an "update needed" on the translation. This issue was probably related to the low PHP memory allocation.

Second, the "Leer en español" link was still with ?page_id=9586&lang=es
That's because the translation was not published yet (so using the plain url instead of pretty permalink). Here you have two options:
- You can manually edit the Spanish version and click "Publish" (that's what I did)
- Or for all your future translations: Go to "WPML > Settings > Translated documents options" and change the settings to the default "Same as the original document instead of "Draft".

Nico

screenshot-2022.10.04-06_54_02.png
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.