This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 17, 2019 at 4:20 pm #4232105

julianS-16

I am trying to: Export ACF 'Flex Content' field content to send to a translator.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: N/A

I expected to see: ACF 'Flex Content' field content in exported translation XLIFF file.

Instead, I got: No ACF 'Flex Content' field content in exported translation XLIFF file.

July 18, 2019 at 6:53 am #4235409

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can you tell me how did you set translation preferences for subfields of the main flexible content field? Have a look at my example - on the field groups, I set the main flexible fields to have "copy" as a translation preference, while the first subfield is having " translate". After this I updated the original page and you can see what translation management is showing. The same thing showing in translation management should be visible in XLIFF file import.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 18, 2019 at 10:47 am #4237663

julianS-16

Hi Bruno, thanks for your reply and for your example screenshots.

I have followed your example and set the flexible content field's translation preference to 'copy'. I have also set every child field which we need translated to 'translate'.

The result of this is that flexible content blocks which are added to the page do show up in the translation export and on the page where the translator adds translations.

However, it seems that the issue we have is that flexible content blocks which are already on the page do not show up in the translation export or on the page where the translator adds translations.

I found a workaround which is to move the flexible content blocks and save the page, after doing that the flexible content blocks do show up in the translation export and on the page where the translator adds translations.

Bizarrely, if the flexible content blocks are moved back to where they were and the page saved, the flexible content blocks do not show up again in the translation export or on the page where the translator adds translations.

So my question is: Is there a way that we can make existing flexible content blocks appear in the translation export and on the page where the translator adds translations?

Thanks in advance!

July 18, 2019 at 12:33 pm #4238693

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

So my question is: Is there a way that we can make existing flexible content blocks appear in the translation export and on the page where the translator adds translations?

How about cancelling translation job and creating a new one? Or deleting the translation and starting anew? Usually if the translation preferences of the of custom fields are changed, it is enough to update the original page and translation editor will pick up all the new values.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 18, 2019 at 1:30 pm #4239111

julianS-16

Hi Bruno,

I have tried cancelling and creating a new translation job, and this makes no difference.

The only thing that does make a difference is updating the original page, to change the order of the content blocks.

If I re-arrange the content blocks and save the page, this fixes the issue.

If I put the content blocks back in their original order, the issue comes back again.

So is there a way to make the translation editor pick up the values without changing anything on the page?

Thanks

July 18, 2019 at 2:05 pm #4239493

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

So is there a way to make the translation editor pick up the values without changing anything on the page?

No matter how hard I try, I keep getting the same results and there is that flexible fields would appear in translation editor (when changing translation preferences for the custom field).

I even tried reordering them, but it always the same.

Could you perhaps provide me with few screenshots of the steps you are doing, along with an issue, so that I could understand the exact same scenario better?

As a workaround, you could always re-create these posts/pages if they aren't too complex and if there are not too many of them to be fixed. Very often this is much faster than debugging what is behind the scenes.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 18, 2019 at 4:47 pm #4241183

julianS-16

Hi Bruno,

So, to give you some idea of our situation and background: We are a web agency working on an issue with a WordPress Multisite network of sites, which we built for one of our biggest clients. The content of each of these sites was created some time ago using ACF flexible content blocks. There is a lot of content on each site, and all of the sites have been live for some time now. The content was created when older versions of ACF Pro, WPML, ACFML, WPML Translation Manager and WPML String Translations were installed, and on WordPress versions 4.x.

Our client now wishes to have the content translated by external translators, using the WPML Translation Manager XLIFF export/import feature for doing this.

So I hope you can see that this is why we can't recommend re-creating all of the flex content blocks, because this would be a huge amount of work.

I have updated all relevant plugins to their latest versions in a test environment, plus the WordPress core to version 5.2.2, in order to test solutions to the reported issue.

I would send you some screenshots but the 'Upload an image' button doesn't work in my browser. I'll try a different browser and post some screenshots if that works.

I would suggest that you might be able to recreate the issue by creating flex content in a test environment running an older version WordPress (4.x) and the relevant plugins, then updating to the latest versions, as I have.

The older plugin versions are:

Advanced Custom Fields PRO: 5.7.7
Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual: 0.7
WPML Multilingual CMS: 4.2.5
WPML String Translation: 2.10.3
WPML Translation Management: 2.8.4

Many Thanks!

July 19, 2019 at 6:11 am #4244097

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I would suggest that you might be able to recreate the issue by creating flex content in a test environment running an older version WordPress (4.x) and the relevant plugins, then updating to the latest versions, as I have.

Can you tell me if you would be able to create a duplicator package so that I sent to our 2nd tier for investigations? Or perhaps grant access to the staging website?

I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

So in short, the issue is the following:
- changing translation preferences within ACFML plugin does not affect pages unless:
-- The only thing that does make a difference is updating the original page, to change the order of the content blocks.
-- If I re-arrange the content blocks and save the page, this fixes the issue.
-- If I put the content blocks back in their original order, the issue comes back again.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 19, 2019 at 10:33 am #4245781

julianS-16

Hi Bruno,

I just wanted to reply, rather than send any private data, so I marked this reply as public.

We've had a chat here and decided what would be best would be for us to recreate the issue in a new local test environment, using the WordPress/plugin versions I mentioned, then send you a duplicator package of that.

I'm afraid a duplicator package of the test environment with all of our client's content is out of the question, and so is access to that environment.

I will send the duplicator package if we can recreate the issue. Could you mark my next reply as private again please, so I can access the duplicator info?

Many Thanks for your help!

July 19, 2019 at 12:09 pm #4246227

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I completely understand the stance of not creating duplicator of the current site, as it may also contain sensitive information.

using the WordPress/plugin versions I mentioned, then send you a duplicator package of that.

I have marked your next reply as private!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 26, 2019 at 1:19 pm #4289809

julianS-16

Hi Bruno,

I received an automated email from "your friendly support cleanup robot", saying that this thread will be closed due to inactivity.

I have been working on creating a local environment which has the export issue, so that I can send you a duplicator package of it. This is taking a while, mainly due to distractions, but hopefully I'll have something to send you soon.

So can this thread remain open please? Also can you mark my next reply as private again please?

Many Thanks!

July 29, 2019 at 6:17 am #4297131

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

The thread should get closed after about 30 days if there is no activity on it. However, even if it gets closed, you can always create a new ticket, choose me as your preferred supporter and mention this ticket in URL and I will know what the issue is about.

I have marked your next reply as private.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

The topic ‘[Closed] ACF 'Flex Content' field content not exported in translation XLIFF file’ is closed to new replies.