Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jelle-jacobd 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
September 10, 2021 at 2:51 pm #9564533

jelle-jacobd

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I'm trying to translate the images in a gallery field with WPML translation editor. When adding the ACF field gallery at first, the default translation setting is copy. So this could mean it isn't possible to translate images in this field? Image title, description etc? I also noticed that some posts will translate the images and others don't. So I'm a bit confused here.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

A recent blog post with images in a gallery field shows these options (screenshot) in the translation editor when opening it. But most other post don't show any option for the gallery images. I have changed the field settings from copy to translate but this has no effect so far.

First image in the screenshot is the featured image:
hidden link
hidden link

Most other posts show same results like this example or don't show any images at all from the gallery field:
hidden link
hidden link

All images are translated, so this couldn't the problem in my opinion.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

September 11, 2021 at 11:34 am #9568443

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi there!

Please try to leave the image field as "copy" but then translate the images using WPML > Media translation as seen in this guide: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

When you translate or modify the media elements, you'll see a notification inviting you to update the places where the image is. select the "slow" method so all the images are correctly translated.

let me know if this works for you.

September 13, 2021 at 7:43 am #9573955

jelle-jacobd

Hi,

So it isn't possible to translate the ACF gallery field entries trough WPML translation editor if I understand correctly?

What do you mean exactly with "slow" method, and where can I find it? Is there an example available for me to review?

Thanks, Jelle

September 13, 2021 at 11:34 am #9575765

Alejandro
Supporter

These are all the ways to translate media: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/ and they apply to ACF's image gallery as well, depending on how the code is retrived by ACF (they usually get the ID and then from over there they get the captions, title, etc so that might be why it wouldn't appear in the translation editor).

However, i'd strongly recommend you translate your medias using WPML > Media Translation.

the "slow" and fast method are options on a notification that appears after you modify or translate a media file in WPML > Media translation.

September 14, 2021 at 6:46 am #9580891

jelle-jacobd

Oke, thanks! In that case I'll leave the setting with copy and get using the media translation. Media translation doesn't let my translate the description of an image, correct? Only filename en file title are available?

September 14, 2021 at 12:07 pm #9583615

Alejandro
Supporter

It allows you to edit all the metadata from the media file, description included, as long as the original media file contains content (the fields won't appear in media translation if the original media file fields are empty).

So you should be good to go!

September 15, 2021 at 6:11 am #9589039

jelle-jacobd

Ah oke, thanks a lot! That explains it, thanks!