No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nikolaij Ouillon 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
May 17, 2019 at 10:53 am #3833609

Nikolaij Ouillon

What are you trying to translate?

I am trying to translate, or rather not, translate some of my ACF fields on a Theme Settings page. Setting the ACF field's translation prefrences to "copy" doesn't result in all languages having the same content. Neither in the back end nor in the front end will the "copied" content show up. I only get presented with empty boxes and fields.

I have attached a few screenshots. Hope they show what I am trying to achieve.

Is there any obvious step I am missing?

If you need access to the wp-admin to verify settings, please let me know.

Thanks!

May 20, 2019 at 6:20 am #3843919

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello Nikolaij,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

ACF options does n't offer you the possibility to copy these fields. Instead, you can try switching the language from the top bar and adding your translation value.

If this does not help, don't hesitate to contact your developer and open a ticket in our technical support.

Best regards,
Andrés

May 21, 2019 at 7:50 am #3852815

Nikolaij Ouillon

Hi Andrés,

thanks for getting back to me.

We use the ACF options page for theme settings. Now, not all elements need translation. Things like the address or links to social media should be the same for all languages. Other parts, like texts, need to be translated.
Is there any way to not have the common data three times in the database? As it adds complexity and error sources, preventing the clients from having to input the data multiple times would be awesome.

Can you think of any solution based on wpml?

Thanks a lot!

May 21, 2019 at 8:12 am #3852985

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hey Nikolaij,

There are some tickets on the development queue for improving ACF translation usability. However, at the moment I can't offer you other solution.

if you want to get in contact with our technical support, don't hesitate to ask the license owner to open a ticket in our technical forum.

Best regards,
Andrés

May 21, 2019 at 11:16 am #3854657

Nikolaij Ouillon

Thanks a lot for the insight. I will try to find another solution.

The most probable one is to get the common ACF fields in one language that contains all information with the ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE.

May 23, 2019 at 8:48 am #3872693

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello Nikolaij

As Andres said, this is not supported yet to copy field values on options pages. However, we created a dev ticket and we will try to change this / make this working.

For time being, I prepared you the snippet how to obtain the field value in front end and if this hasn't value set in secondary language, how to switch language temporary to default and obtain value in original language:

hidden link

May 27, 2019 at 1:04 pm #3897463

Nikolaij Ouillon

Hey Konrad,

thanks a lot for the code! Big help!

Cheers