Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bill Lafferty 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
September 10, 2020 at 8:00 pm #6988287

Bill Lafferty

Tell us what you are trying to do?
- We are helping a customer configure WPML with My Acclaro. We ran a pseudo-translation test on a sample page, and the xliff was missing a number of ACFs.
- The website is using a large number of ACFs (over 700).
- The web developer set the ACFs to 'translate' following the documentation cited below.
- We pulled the same page to test a second time, and by enabling ACFs for translation, the xliff contained the desired text blocks.
- However, numerous acf strings also appear on the page.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
- ACF documentation here --> https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Is there a similar example that we can see?
- Please see the attached screenshot. Strings such as this one are visible at the bottom of the page. Is this expected behavior?

What is the link to your site?
- If you send me a private link I can share login creds. Thanks!

September 12, 2020 at 5:16 am #6998277

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello there,

The simple would be "Yes" it is an expected behavior as the fields are set the translate and these fields show-up for translations. We recommend only to set the fields that needs translation to translate and not All ACF field require a Translate setting.

The field in your screenshot has nothing to do with translation the best option for that field would be "COPY" as it seems to deal with the layout and not with the actual front end text.

Also there are a few fields that should not be set to translate, Like Repeater, Flexible content, Images, Gallery etc..

Since you are using a translation service i would recommend Going over the ACF fields and change the translation preference if the field doesn't need any translation Change it to "Copy" so that these fields wont be send for translations any more.

Please be noted once the translation preference is changed, the page in which the fields are added needs to be updated (saved again) so that the latest translation preference takes effect before it can be sent for the translation.

I hope this helps better, Let me know if there is anything else i can assist with.

Kind regards
Raja

September 15, 2020 at 11:34 pm #7021775

Bill Lafferty

Hi Raja,

Thanks very much for your reply. I understand we should only pick the ACFs that need translation, but there are actually over 700 of them in use. The developers don't know which ones need to be translated, so we had to bulk select all of them in the interest of time. I assume you still recommend going through the whole list and designating the non-translatable ones as 'Copy'?

Kind regards,
Bill

September 16, 2020 at 11:19 am #7026469

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello Bill,

Yes that is the only option the translation preferences should be manually set for those fields that doesn't need to be translated, With 700 fields its a huge task however as you can already understand there is no easy fix or workaround for this case.

Also the logic here is the site owner decided what to translate and what to not, You can also ignore the fields from translation with Don't translate instead of Copy however it is still an option from you side to choose, kindly go through the different Translation preference and choose the best that suits for each field https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#setting-translation-preferences-acf-fields

September 16, 2020 at 12:11 pm #7027237

Bill Lafferty

My issue is resolved now. Thank you, Raja!