This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Thomas 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Tia.

Author Posts
March 4, 2016 at 1:26 pm #830173

Muriel

When I activate WPML String Translation plugin I get a 500 error and I have to change the name of the plug-in to be able to login to the back end.

I have already increased the memory to 256M.

How I know it is only this plug-in that causes the issue?

I have already disabled all plug-ins and enabled them one by one.
The WPML String Translation plug-in shuts down the site completely.
Can you please help.

URL: hidden link

March 6, 2016 at 4:26 pm #831038

Tia

Hello. Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I am happy to help you with this.

The WP memory limit needs to be increased. PHP memory is fine (as you stated it is 256M) but WordPress uses 40Mb as default. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Add this to the top of wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Please enable the WordPress debug log. This will allow us to see if any errors are being produced. More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Browse to the page with the issue and/or reproduce the issue.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just the first 50 lines or so will do. Please censor sensitive information.

I can enable the private box if you want to pass a private link from Google Drive or Dropbox instead. Just ask me to enable the private box.

March 14, 2016 at 8:02 am #836826

Muriel

Dear Support, I have checked all my settings and the issue stayed exactly the same.
BUT the issue might also be lying at the hosting provider, as i have found out that they have several domains at the moment with a 500 error or not reachable anymore. Will need to wait on that before we can go any further. Apparantly this has been going on since Tuesday off and on.

March 14, 2016 at 5:13 pm #837454

Tia

Hello, Muriel.

Thank you for letting us know. Please come back with the debug log if the issue turns out not to be your hosting provider.

March 17, 2016 at 1:28 pm #840273

Thomas

Hi Tia,

I am having the same issue.

Freshly installed copy. Theme, etc set up. When trying to activate WPML string translation the backend runs into a 500!

Memory limit was already set to 256MB.

The error says:

[17-Mar-2016 13:22:01 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'InvalidArgumentException' with message 'Tried to load a string filter for a non-existent language!' in /PATH-TO-WP/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/inc/wpml-string-translation.class.php:578
Stack trace:
#0 /PATH-TO-WP/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/inc/functions.php(313): WPML_String_Translation->get_string_filter(false)
#1 /PATH-TO-WP/wp-content/themes/enfold/config-wpml/config.php(590): icl_translate('Formats', 'j. F Y', 'j. F Y')
#2 [internal function]: avia_wpml_translate_date_format('j. F Y')
#3 /PATH-TO-WP/wp-includes/plugin.php(235): call_user_func_array('avia_wpml_trans...', Array)
#4 /PATH-TO-WP/wp-includes/option.php(133): apply_filters('option_date_for...', 'j. F Y', 'date_format')
#5 /PATH-TO-WP/wp-admin/admin.php(92): get_option('date_format')
#6 /PATH-TO-WP/wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/inc/wpml-string-translation.class.php on line 578

I need an instant solution please. Where can I download a previous version of the string translation plugin?

I need to finalise a multisite language until tomorrow 0800utc.

Thank You,
Thomas

March 17, 2016 at 6:11 pm #840551

Thomas

-- did not work --

ISSUE PERSISTS!