This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by laurentG-19 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
May 27, 2019 at 7:47 am

laurentG-19

I am trying to: Use string and media translation plugins.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: The plugin, WPML or appearance page in the admin backend.

I expected to see: Well, the admin surface of the pages.

Instead, I got: "The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions."

May 27, 2019 at 8:28 am #3894685

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I have enabled error reporting in your site by adding this code in wp-config.php file:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

// Use dev versions of core JS and CSS files (only needed if you are modifying these core files)
define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

And then examined debug.log file from wp-content directory.

I can see below error in debug.log file:

[27-May-2019 08:01:48 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare class WPML_Admin_Text_Functionality in �� on line 3

Could you please follow below steps and let me know how it goes?

=== Please backup your database and website ===

Please upgrade your server’s PHP version to a higher level: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

- PHP is 5.6.36 which is good, but it's advised is to use more up-to-date version for better performance and stability. You can contact your website hosting company to upgrade this for you.

- We have another client who had the similar error and was also able to solve it by upgrading PHP version:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/cannot-redeclare-class-wpml_admin_text_functionality/#post-3447709

Thank you

May 31, 2019 at 12:54 pm #3930685

laurentG-19

Hi Noman,

thank you for your fast reply!
Unfortunately I cannot easily update the PHP Version, as there are other (live) sites running on this server, and the risk of incompatibilities appears to be to high for me.
Is there no other solution to this problem?

I forgot to mention. At first it worked flawlessly, but with the regular updates at some point it broke...

Thanks again for helping!

Best regards,
Laurent

June 2, 2019 at 12:59 pm #3937317

Noman
Supporter

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

At the moment, this is the only solution I can proposed as an example you can see similar ticket with similar solution.

Both WP and WPML requirements changed with time. You can switch php versions on the server via hosting support if it creates any other problem after change. I am very much sure that its php version issue.

But if you still like to reconfirm then we can copy your site to our test server to confirm

Looking forwards,

Thank you

June 4, 2019 at 4:31 pm #3953663

laurentG-19

Hi,

asked my hosting provider for support and I'm waiting for his reply.

I'll come back to you if the update does not change the behavior.

Thanks for helping so far!

Best regards,
Laurent

June 5, 2019 at 4:47 pm #3962811

Bigul
Supporter

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Laurent,

I am Bigul from WPML support team. Noman is on vacation now. So I am taking care of this ticket. Hope it will be okay for you.

Thank you for the updates. Take your time. We will wait for your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

July 9, 2019 at 1:01 pm #4170935

laurentG-19

Hello,
the PHP update is about to be done!
Please leave the topic open, I'll get back as soon as possible!
Best regards,
Laurent