Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.29 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by yoshiP 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dennis.

Author Posts
March 22, 2019 at 3:44 am #3437369

yoshiP

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am installing wpml on a clients domain (.be) and the current language should be Flemish, because we want to add dutch to a .nl domain. But at the moment i can only select dutch as the current default language.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
/

Is there a similar example that we can see?
/

What is the link to your site?
hidden link [in dev]

March 22, 2019 at 8:57 am #3438627

Dennis

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

In WPML > Language > Edit languages, you have the ability to add your own custom languages.

You can use French, German, and Dutch and edit their locale to be the Belgium region locale, like so.

French -> fr_BE
Dutch -> nl_BE
German -> de_BE

Please read in our documentations about how to edit the languages table in WPML.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

You can also create your custom language as well as upload a flag image.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this issue.

Kind regards,
Dennis

March 22, 2019 at 10:25 am #3439347

yoshiP

I added a line to wp_icl_languages with
english_name: Dutch, Belgium
major: 0
active: 0
default_local: nl_BE
tag: nl-be
encode_url: 0

And to wp_icl_languages_translations
language_code: nl-be
display_language_code: en
name: Dutch, Belgium

But can't see it in the content language dropdown

March 25, 2019 at 1:33 am #3449231

Dennis

Hi,

It seems that you tried to add kit through the database. If yes, could you please revert what you did and use the User Interface instead?

Please go to In WPML > Language > Edit languages. Click 'Add Language' button.

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Dennis

March 25, 2019 at 2:33 am #3449335

yoshiP

Hi, I can't add them in the GUI because I don't have a content language set. And the content language that i want to set is Belgian (the one i want to add).

March 25, 2019 at 3:01 am #3449387

Dennis

Hi,

It seems that your adding a language from a different page. Could you please give me a screenshot on where did you try to add a language?

To add your custom language, please see the attached images.

Kind regards,
Dennis

March 25, 2019 at 3:05 am #3449465

yoshiP

Here

March 25, 2019 at 3:23 am #3449495

Dennis

Hi,

I see. You need to finish the WPML configuration wizard before you can add your custom language. Please just select your content language from there (e.g. Dutch) and maybe English as secondary language and finish the configuration wizard. Add your custom language using the guide I provided and set that custom language (Belgian) as your default language at WPML > Languages > Site Languages. You can also add/remove languages from there.

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Dennis

March 25, 2019 at 6:23 pm #3457199

yoshiP

Hi,

I can't finish the setup as the content language that i wish to set is be_nl. So i added it to the database but that didn't work.

March 26, 2019 at 3:39 am #3459079

Dennis

Hi,

Please just finish the WPML wizard by selecting a default/secondary languages currently on the list. After that, you can now access the page to create a custom language (be_nl). You can then set your new custom language (be_nl) as your new default language.

Kind regards,
Dennis

March 27, 2019 at 1:36 am #3467219

yoshiP

After a reboot of the server the new language i added in the database showed up in the setup, so everything is working!

March 27, 2019 at 1:36 am #3467221

yoshiP

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!