Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
November 5, 2018 at 9:17 am

mohamedl

I am trying to: add products translations in other languages

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&lang=en

I expected to see: products in French translated

Instead, I got: new products in French, got the language set, and added the French, and wpml translation ID

also do we need to put all the informations of the products ? since only the name, short desc and description changes ? and fill in the rest like in English ?

thanks a lot

November 5, 2018 at 9:20 am #2876093

mohamedl

also is it possible to delete my previous tickets please ?

November 5, 2018 at 10:51 am #2876494

Cristina

Hello Mohammed,

thanks for the credentials, but I could not log in to the site.
Is this a hosted site on WordPress.com?

For the imports to work, you have to follow this documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

Usually with WPML you create first of all two imports: one for the default language products and one for the second language products. The first file is the parent import and the second file the can define the file in the default language as parent file when you import that.

If you have already existing content, but did not import it first, you do not have a parent file. You could export the products with WP all Export and then re-import them in the default language, so you have a parent file.

If you then import the translations and link that to the parent file, the content will be linked as translation to the parent file.

If you already duplicated all content, you can import it as update.

The underlying problem here is that WP All import creates its own post types in the database for the imported content. Therefor it needs an import file as reference for each product, to recognise it and be able to link the second import.

If you import a file directly with WP All Import, it will create a new product unless you use the update function or you define in the area for the WPML settings the language of the import and associate the existing parent import file.

If you just need a translated name, short description and description, there are two possibilities:

If you create a new product post you may have to copy all english content again, because it has not been copied before.

If you import as update to an existing post, where the english information is already there, you only need to import the translated parts and the other should be the same. If that is not the case, you will need to import everything.

If you could check the login again, I will try to log in and have a look at this.

Kind regards
Cristina

I have asked the systems team to delete the previous ticket.

November 5, 2018 at 11:26 am #2876558

mohamedl

hi

its a normal username and password, the .com is just for jetpack

I thought of the second option, duplication and then running an update, but I rather also have the option that updates also other languages without having too many files and imports running

the csv is in google sheets, and it re-publish when new content is added or updated, but not sure if they keep a team file in wp all import, since sometimes I would update the skus but it won't show when im editing the import file

you can try to login again and let me know if it works, thanks a lot

November 8, 2018 at 10:50 am #2889050

mohamedl

hi

do I need to have all the elements, variations etc... in the main language and also in the sec languages, can't it just just copy the other images, attributes, weight size etc from the main language to have the update run faster ? since they don't change

also for attributes like brand or color, should the text be in the columns be translated as well, as the categories, or it will will take the ones from English and apply them to the ones already translated from the attributes, categories, taxonomy ...

thanks a lot

November 8, 2018 at 1:42 pm #2889600

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

Cristina is no longer available so I will be helping you going forward.

1. System access
Yes, I can access the system backend now. thank you.

2. Clarification
I understand from your messages that this question is specific to the use of WP All Import + WPML all import for Woocommerce products.

Correct?

3. Import v. Creation of products
You asked: "do I need to have all the elements, variations etc... in the main language and also in the sec languages,"

If you are importing products, then yes, the WP All Import is providing a way for you to stick your data into the Woocommerce product data model. So, to my knowledge, you have to map all data.
I would suggest that you direct this question, however, to the WP All Import people as they may have ways to create templates that will make the process faster or how to take advantage of repetitive tasks.

When you incorporate WPML All Import, it is simply adding a way to link the new product you are importing to an existing product as a "translation". But the import process is handled by WP All Import.

4. Importing taxonomy translations
You asked: "..for attributes like brand or color, should the text be in the columns be translated as well, as the categories, or it will will take the ones from English and apply them to the ones already translated from the attributes, "

For taxonomies, all taxonomy terms must be pre-existing and translated in the Woocommerce site. Then, again, your mapping should be from the translated value to the translated term.

Was I able to answer your questions?

November 16, 2018 at 9:05 am #2912784

mohamedl

hi

thanks for taking over, was taking long to get an answer

so all details and infos should be duplicated in English, French etc...
have the wpml translation connector for all translations ?

what I want to do basically is create products and update them and their translations from a google docs sheets to make it easier to translate properly

and ill contact them
thanks

November 16, 2018 at 9:46 am #2912978

Yvette
Supporter

1. Infrastructure
You wrote: "so all details and infos should be duplicated in English, French"

As a rule of thumb, yes, you would want all the configuration already set in Woocommerce before beginning task of creating /importing product data.

2. Approach
You wrote. "what I want to do basically is create products and update them and their translations from a google docs sheets to make it easier to translate properly"

I don´t know your setup or kinds of product data. My experience with translating products using WCML interface is that if your custom fields have the correct translation options (e.g. "translate", Copy", "do nothing") and all of your relevant configuration options are translated/duplicated (e.g. Shipping methods, email notifications, global attributes...) then the translation editor really reduces the task of translating products to just translating texts.

Of course, if you have composite products, bundled products or complex variable products...I imagine the interface might have additional challenges and/or vulnerabilities to entering bad data. But I do believe using the WCML translation interface is pretty solid.

In any case, just to reframe the role of WCML, the WCML solution allows you a way to link existing products together as associated translations that share the same Woocommerce operating parameters: price, stock, SKU, coupons, attributes, etc. The operating parameters themselves need to be translated for a data import to complete.

Here is a handy video about WPML All Import:
hidden link

Around minute 5, they speak directly about importing products which is not much different than importing normal posts.

November 16, 2018 at 9:56 am #2913010

mohamedl

thanks for the quick answer

I've seen the video, and its not that different yes, but wc products have more fields than posts so more difficult to work with if you have a 1000 products

the suggestion trough WCML is a really good idea, thanks for that, but again in most like the attribute name sometimes need to be translated (like brand name or color) but the values don't always, so duplicate will affect the values or both names and values of the attribute ?

thanks a lot

November 16, 2018 at 10:45 am #2913201

Yvette
Supporter

You asked:
"..the attribute name sometimes need to be translated (like brand name or color) but the values don't always,so duplicate will affect the values or both names and values of the attribute ?.."

1. Global v. Custom product attributes
First, I need to distinguish between these two types of attributes. It is very important technically since they are stored in different places and handled differently by WPML.

Global attributes are wordpress taxonomies and are translated/managed like categories. Use the WPML Taxonomy Translation tool to translate centrally. The name+values are independent from the products.

Custom attributes are wordpress custom fields and are translated/managed like any other custom field (price, stock, featured image). They are stored in the post-meta table and the values are managed at a post-id level. WPML uses custom field translation options to control if these values are translated or copied between products and string translation to manage the different language versions of the names since a custom field can be used by more than one product.

So, to best answer this question we have to clarify which kind of attributes you are using.

2. Duplication
It is not possible to "duplicate" a taxonomy....so for gloabl attributes, you copy the "assignment" to a relevant translated taxonomy.

For custom fields, if you "duplicate" a product - all custom fields are "duplicated" in the sense that the post-meta is copied to the translated product´s post-meta. When the product template makes reference to the name of this custom field, the string translation will filter the name and show the right language version.

Does this answer your question?

The topic ‘[Closed] add products translations’ is closed to new replies.