This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 16, 2019 at 5:33 pm #4222787

Jean-Francois

From time to time (inconsistent / random problem), adding new content to the website modifies one or multiple menu items that point to Toolset CPT archives, essentially changing the URL to point to the other language, and therefore breaking (404) navigation.

This is as close as we've been able to determine in terms of possible cause.

I have then digged into the database, and took snapshots of before / after the problem, and was able to narrow it down to only a few things that changed.

My hope is that your team can pursue this analysis, and determine the root cause.

I have documenter my steps in French, and I'm also attaching my source files in terms of the SQL, the DIFF, and so on.

Download link for ZIP : hidden link

July 17, 2019 at 8:40 pm #4233423

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

Thank you for the analysis and files.

1. As the author suggests, it would be ideal/important to be able to provoke the error.

2. And yes, we would need a copy of your site, preferably using the Duplicator plugin.

3. Clarification
As I understand from what you wrote, the problem is that the URL of some menu items that point to Toolset CPT archives have their URL changed to point to the wrong language when new content is added to the website.

3.1 Is this happening when you add ANY post type or have you noticed it happening when you add a particular post type.

3.2 Which are the links that change?

I am opening the private area for the Duplicator plugin package. Please use a file sharing service like WeTransfer, Fileshare, Dropbox...etc and only send a link where we can download the archive package.

I wait for your feedback on the quesitons above.

July 20, 2019 at 8:03 am #4249351

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

I'll take care of this ticket until Yvette returns.

Can you tell me if you tried to test if this happened without any plugins active other than wpml and toolset?

I'm asking this because sometimes other plugins can trigger totally unexpected behaviors when some plugins are active.

If you have a staging site you could try to replicate the problem and maybe list us us the steps you took in order to replicate the problem (i read the screenshot you sent and it seems to be analizing the database behavior which is awesome and will probably be useful if you provide us the steps taken). If the steps are explained in one of the files you sent, can you tell me in which one? (I checked them but they all seem to be database information)

That will probably help us try to replicate the problem in a better way, since, as you mentioned, the problem seems to happen randomly.

Regards

July 22, 2019 at 9:18 am #4255257

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello again

Just double checking to ask, as my colleague did, if you are certain you cannot provoke the error. This is really a key piece to be able to do any investigation.

In the case that the behaviour ends up being server related, as often "randomn" / "inconsistent" errors tend to be, is it possible to setup a staging site on the same server so that we can see the error happening?

Thank you.

The topic ‘[Closed] Adding content changes the translated menu links using to Toolset CPT archives’ is closed to new replies.