This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How can I set a custom language direction to RTL? Solution: To set a custom language direction to RTL follow these steps: - Go to WPML -> String Translation - Search for the ltr string - Translate it to rtl for the custom language - Save

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Vincenzo 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Vincenzo.

Author Posts
August 12, 2017 at 5:29 am #1340638

khurramZ

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am adding a new language 'Sindhi' (ISO 639-1 'sd'). Sindhi is RTL and uses Arabic Script. How I will tell WPML that my new language is RTL. ISO 639-1 code for sindhi is 'sd' and google uses the same code as well.

Everything is working good except the RTL for new theme, how I will tell WPML that my new language is RTL or LTR.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

August 12, 2017 at 4:59 pm #1340799

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello, thank you for contacting WPML Support!
I will take care of your ticket.

To add a custom language to the list of RTL languages you need a custom plugin.

You can download the plugin here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ghf8T4iiomTDgtLUNUdUFfVkU/view?usp=sharing

You have to just install this plugin from Plugins > Add New > Upload plugin and upload this zip file, once the upload is done, activate the plugin.

If you are using a language code that is different from 'sd' you can just edit the plugin code.

Please let me know if this solves the issue or if you need further details.

Thank you

August 13, 2017 at 8:07 am #1340872

khurramZ

Hi Vicenzo,

this issue is resolved for now. I would like to make a feature request to select language direction in language editing screen rather then depend on an added plugin. Secondly, if this plugin is required to be updated with updates in wpml?

Regards,
Khurram

August 14, 2017 at 8:47 am #1341316

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello Khurram,

I'm glad to know that your issue was solved.

1. Thank you for your suggestion.

We added your idea to our feature list and will consider it.

If or when exactly our developers will add a new feature is not up to us to determine.

Each issue reported in, whether a bug or a new feature request, is taken seriously into consideration. It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors. Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine.

2. The custom plugin is very simple and should not need to be updated. Anyway, it is not maintained by OnTheGo Systems so if major changes will occur on WPML, the plugin may not work anymore.
- Please check its functionality after every WPML updates.

Thank you

July 3, 2018 at 5:23 am #2455586

sharifP

Hi,
I want to add a new RTL language and have same problem. Can you please make the download link available for me? As I see downlaod link is hidden.
Regards,

July 3, 2018 at 7:19 am #2455796

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello @sharifp,

you can download the file. Please note that I didn't test it with the latest release of WPM
❌ Before proceeding please make a full website backup! ❌

July 3, 2018 at 10:31 am #2456790

sharifP

Thanks @vincenzo,
It solved problem for WPML Editor. Now WPML editor recognizes that my language is RTL. But String translation extension still does not recognizes my RTL language. Any Idea?
Regards,

July 3, 2018 at 10:38 am #2456799

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello @sharifp,

this ticket is closed. It is difficult to follow it.

May I ask you to open a new ticket?
- You can do it from here: https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/

Thank you