Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

All of the known issues are documented in https://wpml.org/known-issues/ you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described here https://wpml.org/faq/checklist-before-opening-a-ticket-in-wpml-support/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 2 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
March 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm #1221131

alaricK

I am trying to:
I've had this issue on numerous sites that use ACF global options page and am now keen to get to the bottom of it. The issue occurs when you have a global options page (call it "button text" for this example), and decide to edit this global options page in two languages at the same time. So you have one tab open with the EN version showing, and another tab with the DE version showing.

Which ever tab you save last, overwrites both translations of the global options page. Or it could be that whatever tab you opened last overwrites both translations.

Is this down to the browser cookie solely deciding where the content is saved?

URL of (my) website where problem appears:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue: Very simply to replicate, just install ACF on a site with multiple languages and create a global options page with various text fields. Now open this options page in the variety of languages available at the same time and start editing and hitting save. Refresh the other tabs and you'll notice content gets overwritten.

The only way i've managed to get around this is by editing the global options page in one language at one time. However, such careful consideration can't be maintained for other users.

March 3, 2017 at 11:37 am #1221734

pekkaW

I've run into this issue also, but it was kind of tricky to get it reproduced and I'm not sure how much can be done to fix this? In "normal use cases" the options pages seem to be updating the content just fine even tho I have two different languages open.

Steps that I had to do to reproduce the content overwrite were:
1. Open options page in secondary language (english)
2. Open the same options page to another tab
3. Now switch the language of the original tab to primary language (finnish)
4. And then update the content on the secondary tab which has it's language set to english. When you update it will actually update and switch to the finnish version with the content from the supposed english options page.

March 3, 2017 at 2:22 pm #1221922

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us.

I would be very happy to help you but I didn't fully understand what is the issue.

When you say "global options page" are you talking about the "The Options Page" add-on ( hidden link )? Or are you talking about Custom Fields > Custom Fields menu item?

Thank you.

March 3, 2017 at 4:08 pm #1222011

alaricK

Hi Bruno,

With ACF Pro, the Options page addon is now rolled into the Pro plugin: hidden link

This is pasted from the page above, and explains what the Options Page feature does:

All data saved on an options page is global. This means it is not attached to any particular post or page, but is saved in the wp_options table. This allows the data to be displayed on any page throughout the website.

pekkaW - glad i'm not the only one who's experienced this.

March 4, 2017 at 12:43 am #1222237

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you. I saw what you're reporting. I'm not sure if this is a bug. This appears to be the default behavior, as long as you switch the language, cookies are also changed to the current language. By following these same steps, I can replicate this in the Settings > General page, for example.

I will contact the 2nd tier support and soon I will contact you.

Thank you.

March 4, 2017 at 9:26 am #1222300

alaricK

Ok, many thanks Bruno.

Hoping they can shed some light on this...

Al

March 4, 2017 at 9:26 am #1222301

alaricK

Ok, many thanks Bruno.

Hoping they can shed some light on this...

March 6, 2017 at 12:38 pm #1223233

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

The 2nd tier support replied that this is normal behavior.

As the WPML uses cookies on the back end, when you switch the language, the cookie is changed as well. When you update the second tab, the last chosen language becomes the "default language" on your backend until you change it again.

That is, this is the expected behavior, even with only WPML installed.

Please let me know if I can help with any other question you may have.

Thank you.