Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by George 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
April 18, 2019 at 2:27 pm #3639955

reneZ-3

I am trying to: To upgrade to Version 1.2 but its buggy in that it translates everything for Global ACF option fields to one option. So if I update the Spanish version, all languages shard this. I went back to version 1.1 and the problem was resolved. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong on upgrade? Normal ACF Field Groups work fine.

April 19, 2019 at 2:57 am #3642845

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. Please, my sincere apologies for the delay in answering. I would be very happy to help you but I didn't fully understand what is the issue.

I'm not sure how I could replicate this problem to test. Have you tried to replicate the problem to a new installation to see if the problem persists?

Also, I noticed that you are using ACFML 1.1. We have already released a version after that, version 1.2 (https://wpml.org/download/acfml/?section=changelog). Updating your plugins to the latest version, does the problem still persist?

Thank you.

April 21, 2019 at 2:34 pm #3652659

reneZ-3

Hi there! To recap

1) My problem is with anything setup with ACF Options Pages
2) When I upgraded to ACFML Version 1.2, the English versions overwrote my Spanish, German, Italian, Chinese and French ACF Option Pages with all English
3) When I attempt to manually fix each Field, it copies the exact correction to all languages. In other words, the Options Pages no longer are unique but rather all overwrite each other with anything you are editing
4) ACFML Version 1.2 breaks my setup, so I have to downgrade back to 1.1 to fix the issue I am having.

Let me know if this all makes sense and what thoughts you have. Thank you!

April 22, 2019 at 11:08 pm #3658687

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you. Unfortunately, I am still not sure if I have correctly understood the problem you are reporting.

- I understand that you are using the "Options Page" option of the ACF
- By default, all of these fields should be duplicated according to our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-field-groups
- That is, all fields should be translated using String Translation. Are you using String Translation to translate the "Options Page"?

Following the steps above I can not replicate the problem. On the front end, after translating the content with String Translation, is the translation displayed correctly?

Thank you.

April 29, 2019 at 3:27 am #3699911

reneZ-3

Hi sorry for the delay! Let me work up some more screenshots and explanations to better ask the questions. Will reply this week. Thank you!

April 29, 2019 at 3:08 pm #3704813

George

I'm experiencing this same issue.

It doesn't appear that the separate languages are respected for any of the global ACF options. Updating a global ACF field in 1 language cascades through the rest of the languages.

To put it simply:
The previous (correct way) I was able to have the following
- English: Hello
- French: Bonjour

Currently (incorrect way) If I update one option, the rest change as well
- English: Hi
- French: Hi (French changed to whatever I changed the english version to)

If I try and manually change French, it also updates English
- French: Bonjour
- English: Bonjour

Has there been any progress on this issue?

April 29, 2019 at 3:50 pm #3705187

George

Here is a screen recording that might help outline the issue as well:
hidden link

You'll notice that changing the setting in 1 language also affects the other language.

April 29, 2019 at 4:34 pm #3705619

George

Apologies for the multiple comments. It appears that this issue was introduced in V1.2.

I reverted the ACF WPML plugin to V1.1 and it appears to be working correctly. Here is a link to this working correctly in V1.1:
hidden link

loom[dot]com/share/14cff4302dca4109b30ae7d91aff6341

I imagine that this has something to do with the following item that was noted in the change logs for V1.2:
"Fixed the translating ACF Options page (it can now be done using WPML String Translation)."

April 29, 2019 at 5:42 pm #3705917

Bruno
Supporter

@georgea, the correct one would be to translate using String Translation. First, you need to make the field translatable within the ACF. See in our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#setting-the-translation-preference-for-simple-fields

Then you should just save the options in the default language and translate the strings using String Translation.

That is, since some updates ACFML is updating its logic to use String Translation, rather than just toggling the language through the top bar.

This has already been reported to our developers to verify the possibility of using both formats. At the moment, however, the option is to follow the steps above and translate the strings using String Translation. If you still have a question, please open a new topic so that we can analyze your question specifically.

Thank you.

May 2, 2019 at 11:40 am #3724171

George

@bruno thanks for your detailed response.

However, I don't think that using string translations to translate the global ACF options is a very good option. The whole point of ACF is to allow client's to make changes to their content easily and asking them to go to string translations to make these edits of changes is not easy for them.

Also, if the ACF field is allowing for an an editor (meaning formatting with potential html markup through <span>, <p>, and <h*> tags) the client will have to dig through the markup in the string translation to make their edit and *hopefully* not break anything.

Being able to adjust the translation using the toggle seems to make the most sense (since every other post type on the site works this way).

I recommend reaching out to the community that uses this plugin for a poll before making a large change like this (as the updated version breaks the site if it relies on multilingual global ACF options, like ours does).