This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.57 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
June 25, 2019 at 2:35 pm #4085501

adamW-17

I am trying to: Translate from English to French - completed before, just making additions to new text.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: hidden link

Instead, I got: see image

I've just received this by email:

Howdy!

Since WordPress 5.2 there is a built-in feature that detects when a plugin or theme causes a fatal error on your site, and notifies you with this automated email.

Ici, WordPress a trouvé une erreur avec l’une de vos extensions, « Elementor ».

First, visit your website (hidden link) and check for any visible issues. Next, visit the page where the error was caught (hidden link) and check for any visible issues.

Veuillez contacter votre hébergeur pour une assistance concernant la résolution de ce problème.

If your site appears broken and you can't access your dashboard normally, WordPress now has a special "recovery mode". This lets you safely login to your dashboard and investigate further.

hidden link

To keep your site safe, this link will expire in 1 jour. Don't worry about that, though: a new link will be emailed to you if the error occurs again after it expires.

June 25, 2019 at 4:53 pm #4086283

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Do I understand right, that while trying to translate the site crashed?

The email you received refers to an error with the plugin "Elementor". Were you able to recover the site? As far I can see on front end the translations seem complete.

Could you please calrify once more the issue and provide access for further investigation?

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Before providing access please make sure to change the WP Memory Limit and verify if the issue persists.

Increase the WP Memory limit to 256M! 128M is the minimum required by WPML.
Your current values are:

MemoryLimit 1024M
WP Memory Limit 40M
Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/* Memory Limit /
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/ That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. /

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly.
If you can get even higher values It would be great.

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Note: WPML needs a minimum WP Memory limit of 128M to work only under a minimal environment, it means, with a default theme and not other plugins installed.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 25, 2019 at 5:01 pm #4086353

adamW-17

Hi Andreas,
I increased the memory limit soon after submitting the ticket - it has increased correctly, but no change to the French translation. The Italian and Spanish are still working with ATM. The issue remains around 3 pages in French translation only. French home page is ok, but Faq, privacy policy and terms & conditions (all French) will not connect to ATM?

Site is fully backed up.

Please enable the private box for creds 😉

Many thanks - ADAM

June 25, 2019 at 5:08 pm #4086391

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Did you maybe translate those pages first using the WPML Classic Translation Editor? In this case the behavior would be expected, as we do have a fallback option in case you started the translations with the Classic Translation Editor and then switched to the Advanced Translation Editor.
The sense of this fallback feature is to prefent data loss while using different TranslatioN Editors in combination with page builders, anyhow you should be able to adjust this feature at WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages.

In case you make any changes here please take a backup of your site and database first.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

June 25, 2019 at 6:22 pm #4086745

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Please take not that when translating pages created with page builders like Elementor always to translate from default language to second language.

When I logged into your site the admin language was set to French. You can change this language in the top admin bar. I changed now to English and went to pages. From there I was able to access the Advanced Translation Editor in order to translate the front page from English to French.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 25, 2019 at 6:30 pm #4086833

adamW-17

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the update. Hmm seems the translator now works but the Edit with Elementor is having issues - it won't open in French? The Home page works ok, but try the Faq page?

June 25, 2019 at 9:07 pm #4087253

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

As far I can see the issue appears only on translated pages while on some translated pages you are able to open the front end Elementor Editor and on others not.

I have tested the site and the issue appears also if I run the site with Elementor PRO and WPML and Translation Management only, with the exception that there is a plugin Shield, which I did not disable and further I did not try to change the theme.

The debug.log file which you can find inside of the wp-content folder on your server shows the following notices and one error related to Elementor:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: widgetType in /home/ubtzekgp/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor-pro/modules/global-widget/widgets/global-widget.php on line 41

PHP Notice: Undefined index: settings in /home/ubtzekgp/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor-pro/modules/global-widget/widgets/global-widget.php on line 49

Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to Elementor\Controls_Stack::sanitize_settings() must be of the type array, null given, called in /home/ubtzekgp/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor/includes/base/controls-stack.php on line 1018 and defined in /home/ubtzekgp/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor/includes/base/controls-stack.php on line 1952

Please additionally reach out to the Elementor Support with the above provided information and let me know about their feedback. It might be thast it is a general issue and thez are already working on a solution.

I have taken a copy of your website with Duplicator for further testing and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

At last please install Elementor PRO 2.5.9 in the following testsite. Also add the vApp 3.1.1 theme and the Shield Plugin, if possible.

One Click Login: hidden link

If we can recreate the issue on a new installation of WordPress we can escalate the issue directly to the compatiblity team in order to solve the issue between our Plugins and the affected theme´s or plugin´s in chain and their author´s.

In any other case our developers will need to investigate further about what is actually causing the error on your site.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 25, 2019 at 10:27 pm #4087381

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Additional to my last email I want to let you know that I was able to create a backup package the Duplicator Plugin.

The site was migrated to localhost and debugged on my system.

the Elementor issue with its front end editor persisted on the test when using the theme TwentyNineteen and running the plugins Elementor, Elementor PRO and CMS Multilingual CMS.

I tried to use the latest available PHP version and run the WPML troubleshooting options but it did not solve the issue yet.

Please get back to me about the test site which I created as soon as possible, as before escalating the issue, I will need to verify if the issue exists also on a new WordPress installation.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 26, 2019 at 6:49 am #4089303

adamW-17

Hello Andreas,

Thanks again for the update. I have put forward your information to Elementor Support Team.
Also to confirm, I have installed the 3 plugins you requested. I have not connected the Elementor Pro license? I wasn't sure if you needed that? Let me know if this needs doing and I will send you the key.

Regards - ADAM.

June 26, 2019 at 6:54 am #4089321

adamW-17

Last week there was an issue with Yoast SEO Multilingual and Shield - so I had originally deactivated these, which seemed to resolve some issues. I notice now, you have actually activated these, and access to the back office is still there which is great news. I have also contacted the support team at Shield to advise them of this issue and the potential clash of plugins. I will let you know on their response also.

ADAM

June 26, 2019 at 9:29 pm #4095205

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

The issue was not appearing on the created test site with a new installation of WordPress.

I have just send you a private message with instructions to migrate your site to our test server for further investigation.

Please leave me a short notification once the migration is completed.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 27, 2019 at 11:53 am #4099813

adamW-17

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the update - I'm just making a full backup, then I will start the migration
Can you just confirm - are you working in the back office right now? I notice Shield is deactivated again??

regards - ADAM

June 27, 2019 at 3:11 pm #4101229

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

I did not login since yesterday. I was working on the new created test site. When I was on your live site I indeed tried to disable the Shield plugin but it did not work out as I did not have the permission.

Let me know when the migration is complete so that I can escalate the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 27, 2019 at 3:14 pm #4101247

adamW-17

Hi Andreas,

Sorry - yes, migration complete.

ADAM

June 27, 2019 at 7:30 pm #4102473

adamW-17

Hi Andreas,

I have today, noticed another issue with either translation or elementor, or both?
I created variations in Maria Nila Colour Refresh.

UK is perfect, but French, Italian and Spanish have not worked correctly. They have only added 1 of 16 colours to include in the drop-down option/translate?